Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: What is the best poker play you\'ve seen on TV?

[ QUOTE ]
well, its a little less easy of a laydown when you read the post correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Correctly"? I have a pretty good record for reading things. Plus I was already familiar with the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Scotty had ace high on the flop and turn, and then the river brings an ace, giving him a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, right, I know what happened. I didn't say otherwise. My comments stand just the way they are.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of interested Paul, have you ever written anything on the big overbet call you made against Mel Judah with the bottom end of the straight in that first WPT event season 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't call him. I called him 25% of the time.

Not kidding.

Yes, I kind of wish I'd landed in the 75% instead.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:58 PM

You are talking game theory? If not I have no idea what you are saying. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 06:59 PM

Default if i remember correctly, Scotty\'s hand with Hennigan

may have also included another pair on Scotty's part. i think Scotty had something like A 5 and hit a 5 on the flop while Hennigan had trips. Scotty bets all the way to the river getting smooth-called and then hits his Ace for two pair on the river. he decides to check (all the while remembering Hennigan's calls on every street because the Ace certainly helped his [Scotty's] hand and not John's). When John then bets heavy on the river, Scotty is then really pushed to the limit with a crucial decision. Hennigan has now called all of his bets to the river (nice ones at that) and then a possible scare card for Hennigan, the Ace, hits on the river and he still bets strong after Scotty's river check.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't call him. I called him 25% of the time.

Not kidding.

Yes, I kind of wish I'd landed in the 75% instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume this is game theory related? Could you elaborate on your reasoning here?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:49 PM

what about the play in rounders where chan checked on every street, and finally seidel threw a big bet on the river to try to steal it and chan took him down. matt damon was impressed with that play.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about the play in rounders where chan checked on every street, and finally seidel threw a big bet on the river to try to steal it and chan took him down. matt damon was impressed with that play.

[/ QUOTE ]

From an article by Lou Krieger (who I busted in a tourny yesterday ;p)
[ QUOTE ]
In this "reverse" bluff, Johnny Chan bluffed Erik Seidel into thinking he held the best hand, lured him into betting, and won a $1,600,000 pot during the final stages of the 1988 World Series of Poker.

Chan had won the World Series the previous year and had been on a roll ever since. Here he was 12 months later, with a chance to win back-to-back titles. But he'd need some magic to accomplish it. Seidel, a former commodities broker from New York City left Wall Street for the life of a professional poker player, and now he had a big chip lead on the defending champ.

At this point in the tournament, the blinds were $10,000 and $20,000. Chan called Seidel's big blind, making the pot $40,000. The flop was Qs 10d 8d. Seidel bet $50,000. Chan called. The turn card was a complete blank, and both men checked. The fifth and final card was another blank. Chan checked.

Seidel held a queen in his hand, giving him top pair, albeit with a weak kicker. He thought for a moment that Chan might have a queen with a better kicker. But by checking on the turn and on the river Chan passed up his final chance to bet! Seidel then pushed all of his chips into the center of the table, certainly a sizable enough bet to cause Chan to release any slightly better hand in the event that Seidel had misread him. Seidel thought his all-in bet would prevent Chan from calling with hands such as a queen with a better kicker, or two small pair.

Seidel had, in fact, misread Chan. And not by a little, but by a lot. Chan smiled as he turned over his hand. Johnny Chan had flopped a straight with the Jc 9c. Had Chan not bluffed, more than likely Seidel would have folded in the face of a bet from his adversary on the turn or the river.

But Chan did bluff. In fact, he did it twice, once on the turn and again on the river and he reaped a handsome reward: his second consecutive World Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2004, 03:59 AM

that's what i'm talking about! it's so hard to check the top hand on the river because if your opponent doesn't bet you win nothing extra.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that world series gave us that incredible call by seidel and also the inexplicable call by furlong with ace-deuce when he broke huck seed (who was 2nd in chips at the time and trying a steal)

my favorite hand i've seen on tv/video is when tuna lund and matloubi were going heads up for the championship... tuna with a-9 and matloubi with tens... flop comes nine high... matloubi bets, tuna raises... matloubi takes about ten years and moves in... tuna then goes into the tank for another ten years and calls... turn card is an ace and tuna is one card away from being the world champ... matloubi rivers the ten... chip reese who was announcing at the time called it the greatest hand in the history of the world series

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

So Hans Lund was a WSOP runner-up? Glad I didn't know that when I was at a final table against him in a Stars $10+1 rebuy. I probably would've gone out in 9th quicker than I did, if that is possible, lol.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:16 AM

Given what's at stake in the hand, I like Moneymaker moving all-in and bluffing Farha off the best hand with his busted draw when heads up.

Farha read it correctly and still couldn't call it.

Sheriff