Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: AK vs. over-aggressive player, QQ

[ QUOTE ]
actually i think because it was capped preflop that makes him more likely to bet the hand aggressively. there's more reward if he can push me out.

[/ QUOTE ]
So an unknown will try to push you out after you capped preflop? Remember, you're an unknown to villain as well. Check/fold the turn seems prudent.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 PM

i got the impression that with such a ragged flop, he semi-bluffed to give an impression he hit. i think he tried to represent 88-AA but it didn't work. you do agree that if i know his style, and it is very aggressive, my line is fine, right?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i got the impression that with such a ragged flop, he semi-bluffed to give an impression he hit. i think he tried to represent 88-AA but it didn't work. you do agree that if i know his style, and it is very aggressive, my line is fine, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think if you have the specific read that villain will semi-bluff often and try to push you off, calling down is fine. I didn't see that read, though.

EDIT: Actually, the river does pretty much kill you. I might call, but a fold is probably best, even against the opponent you describe.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM

I think calling this down is a losing play. You do not have a read that villain is a maniac, and thus far he has shown nothing but pure unbridled aggression. You have shown your strength and he still doesn't care. I would expect to see a pp here probably close to 90% of the time, not the 75% you need in order to justify a call down from the turn. Now with the Q hitting the river, it just became even more likely that he had it. I wouldn't be surprised if you won the hand, since you're defending the play so vigourously, but in the long run I think it's a losing proposition when you don't have much of a read.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]

yeah i think it's hard because when i just sit down like i did here, i either assume they can't get off high cards or they actually have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it? How can you have such a great read on villain if you just sat down?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:09 PM

i had a mild read based on about 10 hands i saw him play. sorry for the confusion, i'm really bad at posting or something.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 PM

what kind of default assumptions should i put on players here if i just sat down, at this level? i try to sit at tables with high pot averages, so i assume it is looser.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i had a mild read based on about 10 hands i saw him play. sorry for the confusion, i'm really bad at posting or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 hands isn't really enough hands to cement him as an "any 2 cards to 3bet preflop" type of player.

But I'm waiting for you to post the results saying he had like A9 or something silly like that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM

In my version pg. 156

"When a player directly on your right bets, you should almost always either raise or fold. If you hand is too strong to fold, raise. Calling is almost always wrong because it fails to protect your hand."

Cheers!

Margon
Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 PM

A6o

at least know i know for sure he's a maniac [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

p.s. thanks margon. i'm assuming one exception is the slowplay, like when i flopped quad aces and was second to play (the first person bet every round) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]