Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Re: 9Tsooted

Preflop and flop I play the same; I bet this turn, planning on checking behind on the river unimproved.

EDIT: Duh, you did bet the turn. River's close but I raise because you beat a lot of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] combos that don't raise preflop.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The key point missing is that you may win without improving.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm don't agree that I am missing the point. I just don't agree that you are ahead here often enough to need to protect your hand. How much equity are you giving this hand based on middle pair? There is only one draw on the board and you have it. This makes it less like he is also on a flush draw. Even if he just has middle pair, you are probably behind. I think I understand protecting your hand and I don't think this is a place where your hand needs it.

Raising for value makes much more sense, but in this particular hand, I think waiting maximizes value better. If there were four people caught in between and my hand was 34s I would raise for the free card. Not here.

I think I am probably wrong judging by the mass responses agreeing with raising the flop. I do feel that the free card play is board and position dependent. I think there are times where it's not the best play. But I hope everyone at least understands my arguments.

Krishan
Old 12-20-2004, 02:03 PM

Curious about the turn bet actually. The river overcall attempt is fine by me.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish there was a bell we could ring here in SS to get Ed, JoeTall, Clark, or Nate to come in and referee.

[/ QUOTE ]

You rang?

Hero played it fine. Frankly, I play it that way most of the time.

Flop raise is standard, as is the turn bet. River I go for the overcall since I'd expect the 3rd player to call about 80% of the time. Other lines are reasonable. Calling the flop certainly isn't *bad*, I just like raising more. Checking the turn isn't *bad*, I just think betting is better. Raising the river isn't generally *bad*, I just think that going for the overcall is better.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:10 AM

I usually raise this preflop after 2 limpers, two off the button, if I have any reasonable chance of folding the CO and button. I can't be the only one, either.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:36 AM

Thanks Clark.

Looks like my line is not as good.

Krishan