Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Default FWIW

I think that the people who are mocking the poster for even considering raising T4o here (and thus implicitly suggesting such a move is very -EV) are farther off the mark than the OP is in suggesting a 3-bet here. Maybe that is just my inner LAG coming out of the closet, but the 3-bet here wouldn't be horrible. It would be overall -EV in my opinion, but not by a whole lot.

In fact, I would venture to say that if the villain had open-raised in the HJ in four out of the first five orbits (winning all hands without a showdown), and now on the sixth orbit open-raised and you found yourself looking at T7o, that 3-betting here is certainly a viable option. (I am assuming however, that villain is known to be a decent player and in particular does not go to show down with weak hands.) So just change the game conditions a little bit and add a few pips to his meager T4o and now I don't dislike the play.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: 20/40 thief (quick, before this gets demoted to SS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

drop down to play money ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to try to be funny and fail, at least show some originality.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 PM

yeah quit fixing my original post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My implied point, which you clearly totally missed in your sense-of-humor-failure moment, was that if you need to ask whether to play T4o against a pf raiser I would think you're playing too high. Why? Because T4o is a bad hand, it has far less value than a random hand. Oh yes, you will say, but read the post, see what he did 2 of the 3 previous rounds.... erm, how unlikely is it that he gets 3 half decent hands out of 4 times? Not particularly unlikely. Other posters have said "wait for a decent hand".

I agree, and it's not close.

2nd edit: you're playing live. It's still not close!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My implied point, which you clearly totally missed in your sense-of-humor-failure moment, was that if you need to ask whether to play T4o against a pf raiser I would think you're playing too high. Why? Because T4o is a bad hand, it has far less value than a random hand. Oh yes, you will say, but read the post, see what he did 2 of the 3 previous rounds.... erm, how unlikely is it that he gets 3 half decent hands out of 4 times? Not particularly unlikely. Other posters have said "wait for a decent hand".

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that trite, disparaging one-liners are not constructive (nor was yours funny). Moreover, your now clarified point seems to be a parroting of what others have already said, but that's okay.

In any case thanks for the feedback. I think the problem is that I indeed took too small of a sample and mentally created a phantom crisis/opportunity. Maybe I do this too much and will look out for it in the future. However I maintain that outright dismissing these metagame (hate to use that word, so overloaded) situations is no good.