Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: 10 ways to Spot a FISH.

Immaturity does NOT necessarily indicate poor skill. The guy who won the WCOOP this year is a completely immature prick. But he's a damn good poker player.

I do a bunch of these things quite on purpse, and am often labeled "fish".
I do that "1, 2 overbet" all the time with made hands, and often people play back at me with mediocre ones.
I berrate people at the table to bring attention to myself and my over-aggressive play before switching gears.
I draw chasers with crappy pot odds, especially when they're draws that are hard to read, like double gutshots. Implied odds, baby.
I play way too many hands.

I think you have this portrait of the "good player" in your mind who is a quiet, tight-aggressive pro. This is very narrow.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know about 10, maybe you're right, haven't thought about it.

I see a lot of decent to good players berating, so I don't agree with 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good players do berate sometimes this is true. I am an Battle Emcee Irl, so i got the skills to cleverly rip people apart when they deserve it...and i do, for pro-tilt odds. But i was refering specificly to when people say very unimaginitive, very cliche middle school things, like "shut up F.A.G." NL holdem takes some creativity, and if someone lacks in one place, they are most likely to lack in another...namely playing. Pay attention to the play of people who berate in a unintellegent fashion next time, and hopefully you will be plesantly suprised. I hope this was an adiquite clearification. Thx for the post
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 AM

Battle MC, man that's awesome.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 AM

That's completely wrong. Always underbetting the nuts/strong beatable hands is probably a fish like tendency but the min raise is used effectively by winning players just in a different manner.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i post as soon as I enter a table, no matter where it is. I never considered this a bad thing and won't fault anybody for it. It is one bet to see a flop that always has a chance to either not be a raised pot or it may be a 4 way pot after somebody does a double the blind raise, in which case I call %100 percent of the time. You may consider this a terrible move, but I don't really consider it a bad move at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you that you are losing money doing this.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Immaturity does NOT necessarily indicate poor skill. The guy who won the WCOOP this year is a completely immature prick. But he's a damn good poker player.

I do that "1, 2 overbet" all the time with made hands, and often people play back at me with mediocre ones.
I berrate people at the table to bring attention to myself and my over-aggressive play before switching gears.
I draw chasers with crappy pot odds, especially when they're draws that are hard to read, like double gutshots. Implied odds, baby.

I think you have this portrait of the "good player" in your mind who is a quiet, tight-aggressive pro. This is very narrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, not Necessarily, but certinly generally. Nothing on the list is concrete, just like most rules of winning poker itself. But in the 20 or 30 disgusting names i've incountered, I can't recolict one that was a good player, but im sure a few are out there.

Doing "fishy" things on purpose but still being a winning player (i.e gus hanson) is a very good stratagy and its one i have been trying to think of how to employ to get more action. But i play mainly 25$ on pacific, the fishest sight out there, so sofisticated players like you are rare. You probably play bigger stakes then me.
But your right, maybe im view is too narrow, its just anyone (almost) at 25$ on pacific who plays very loose, is fishy. I sure its diffrent at higher stakes or at 6max games where LAG styles are a little more effective. If you could suggest a way that a good TAG player could impliment some of the style without messing with hand section too much, im certinly all ears. I know mike caro says TAG's should raise with boarderline hands sometimes, just to keep from "going quite" simplely for the sake of table image. Thx, interesting post.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[quote}
Generally people who do not buyin for the max or people who buyin for 254.83 in a 1000NL game (indicating they're buying in for their whole bankroll)

[/ QUOTE ]

AHH!! this is a great one! i can't beleive i forgot it. Back in my shorthanded days, i used to comb the tables looking for alot of people with small stacks and just bulldoze them. thx for the post

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. I always sit looking for HU action with like $117.21 or something precisely because it looks that way. It works.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, i've done this too. But sometimes you get players just as clever as you looking for an easy opponent. But after i buy in for the max after a few hands, they usually go away [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think people should stop referring to their opponents as fish. Not just this post, any post. I think it is derogatory and should not be used for the people that are supposed to supply you with money. Even though they are bad poker players, you should embrace the fact they are bad and respect them equally. There is always a game, ALWAYS, unless you are among a select few players, where you in fact, are the fish. Money flows from the bottom to the top for a reason poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, haha,.....this is a joke right....lmao, lol,
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Battle MC, man that's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, it was, until the movie "8 mile" popularized, diluted, and half destroyed the scene. But hey, poker makes the money, but the flowin' get's the chicks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, not Necessarily, but certinly generally. Nothing on the list is concrete, just like most rules of winning poker itself. But in the 20 or 30 disgusting names i've incountered, I can't recolict one that was a good player, but im sure a few are out there.

Doing "fishy" things on purpose but still being a winning player (i.e gus hanson) is a very good stratagy and its one i have been trying to think of how to employ to get more action. But i play mainly 25$ on pacific, the fishest sight out there, so sofisticated players like you are rare. You probably play bigger stakes then me.
But your right, maybe im view is too narrow, its just anyone (almost) at 25$ on pacific who plays very loose, is fishy. I sure its diffrent at higher stakes or at 6max games where LAG styles are a little more effective. If you could suggest a way that a good TAG player could impliment some of the style without messing with hand section too much, im certinly all ears. I know mike caro says TAG's should raise with boarderline hands sometimes, just to keep from "going quite" simplely for the sake of table image. Thx, interesting post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stuff I described is stuff I do especially in 25nl, where I can get away with it. Here's an example of a great overbet situation:
6-handed. cutoff with AJo. Folds to you, you raise to $2, two calls. Flop 47Q two hearts, and you are checked to. You bet $12 into the $6 pot. You will almost always take it down here. (if you're uncomfortable with it, do it on a weird draw, like a flop of JTx when you have AK)
Then you get KK two hands later (sb) and make the same play. You're giving each player in the hand now a chance to overthink and overplay. I have done this successfully many times and stacked opponents.
Also, if you get a nice rush of cards after a couple overbets, you can really take command of your table. People will start to make confusingly idiotic plays with nothing against you in no time.