Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Going to war w/ a piece of cheese

I mean, would you in real life throw that hand away time after time after time in that situation?

Well, obviously not, Tommy. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree that soft game + Ace + button + 8SB in the pot + unwarranted overconfidence in one's post-flop skills = tough pre-flop laydown, regardless of its "rightness."

Old 07-09-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: What happens next

Note that I had the Ad. So that eliminates TP/FD as a possible holding. Which I guess makes it more likely that one of them has a set.

You'll have to trust me on UTG+1. He loves to raise pocket pairs and he hates to let me escape cheaply, so based on pre-flop and flop play, I really didn't think he had a set.

But UTG. I really thought he might have a set when he bet, 3-bet, and flat-called #4 on the flop. But then he bet out on the turn. That seemed like an un-setlike action to me. Was I thinking reasonably?

But the time that's relevant is the turn. Once I 3-bet and they just call, I'm 100% certain there are no sets out w/ these guys, so no need to worry about a set on the river. For both of them, calling on the turn means exactly "I don't have a set or straight."

As for those pixelated images, is it just me, or are they getting harder and harder to read?

Old 07-09-2003, 09:34 PM

UTG+1's play of this hand looks like a flopped set. If an unknown player played like this, I would definitely slow down against him.

Me too. That's why I tried to over-emphasize the trickiness and types of plays they might make in my description.

Nonetheless, I was a little surprised that so many people felt it was such a clear 3-bet on the turn.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

against a more str8forward player, id have slowed down much quicker. the tricky have their spots to slow down. i wouldve done it for the reason in which you gave in response to lee's post . you gained the info you needed. though you may also gain a free showdown if you want it.

b
Old 07-09-2003, 10:05 PM

Not intending at all to be cheeky... but this doesn't even occur to me when I'm playing. I'm probably lacking the necessary confidence in my postflop skills. Basically all my "loose" calls are with suited hands. I'd probably call with 96s or J7s here... but I'm guessing you guys would too.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:07 AM

I played with Tommy a day or two after he played with you, MK. Among other compliments about your game, he told me he was impressed w/ your pre-flop discipline. If Tommy likes your pre-flop hand selection, you're playing a much more solid game than I am and probably have no need to resort to such shenanigans. Unfortunately, I am not as strong and thus need to make up a few bets 3-betting turns w/ A6o and calling down w/ King-high. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. K9o and A6o don't look any better to me with all those limpers but those suited multi-gappers sure do.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:22 AM

Tommy,

I'm rarely in a game this good but when almost the whole field limps and I have ace-little (little is eight or worse) offsuit on the button I have never ever called not even once. But I'll call with 76 offsuit and these days with Qx suited and I'm comfortable with those calls.

I can't imagine how a hand like A6 isn't usually giving action rather than getting action. But I don't have much imagination so I could be wrong.

Regards.

Rick