Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Straddle Discussion

Schneids,

First of all, I hope this guys name isn't jimmy the greek, because if it is, there is always the remote possibility that he could read this and quit playing with you or decide to become some sort of ultra rock. I really hope you disguised his name.

Secondly, if he wants to straddle, straddle with him. Players like this enjoy gambling more than they enjoy poker, and straddling is a way for them to get goofy and play some weird hands, and it allows them to play more hands than they normally would. Players like these are the ones that support a pros income in B&M rooms, and where I play we try to make honest friends with them and make them feel as comfortable as possible, but not to the point of it being on a false pretense. Try and be social with them, and keep them around as long as possible. If they start to feel like they're playing with a bunch of rocks and hard ass poker players who dont do anything but grind, they WILL find someone else to play with. But here's something to really remember when dealing with these guys: If you view them as strictly a source of income, they wont be around very long. There's nothing wrong with beating them in pots, but dont get greedy, either. I've seen guys give action to these kind of players as sort of an investment in their future so to speak, with little to nothing as far as cards were concerned.

Tex
Old 11-28-2005, 06:25 PM

live straddle or dead straddle?

i would definitely do the live straddle. dead straddle i would do probably only if 80% or more of the table also participates.

[censored]ing nits...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 PM

Jimmy is the coolest guy ever. If Jimmy says straddle, you [censored] straddle!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM

Having played with Jimmy for almost 3 years, as long as you are having fun and its a good atmosphere he will not leave unless he has something else to do. Back in the day when I was just starting out in the 30 game I played at least 5 overnight sessions with Jimmy where he blew more than 10 dimes. You don't need to straddle to keep Jimmy there or happy, you just need to not patronize him, respect him, and talk to him about things other than poker. And once he gets stuck 5k you dont need to talk to him anymore.

PS. Jimmy is one of the nicest and fun guys you could ever hope to play with, terrible player or not.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Get a rock going

Often, when a few people are willing to straddle, you take the first straddler (Jimmy in this case), take his 6 chips that he's straddling with, and rubber band those chips together. This is the "rock".

He straddles. Somebody wins the pot. Whoever wins the pot gives the rock to the next UTG, so UTG can straddle without risking any of his chips.

Often when some people don't wanna but others do, this can really liven up the game, and get everybody to straddle.

Josh
Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Get a rock going

Hehe rocks are no longer allowed at Canterbury Card Club in MN. Nor is using different colored chips as "markers" for a rock. Something about the MN Gaming Commission saying no to it and it "making certain people who don't want to straddle feel uncomfortable." Yes, otherwise, a rock is a fine solution.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM

1 up
1 up
1 up
1 up
1 up
1 up

oh, sorry.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:19 PM

yeah and one of the regulars bought out a sportsmart of all their bright orange hockey pucks and passed them around the table in protest. Wish I coulda been their for that.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM

We put a rock in when I was up there in Oct. and no one said anything. ?? It turned a bad game into a pretty good one.

I don't get it.. How can the gaming commission prevent the use of a rock? Either straddling is legal or it isn't. If it's legal, how can they stop people from straddling? That seems silly.

My two cents on your question: While it might seem totally unnatural to most good player's to commit money blind, occasionally straddling actually doesn't cost that much in terms of long run EV. I have no problem straddling every once in a while if it gets a game going. It can also do wonders for a tight image.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.. How can the gaming commission prevent the use of a rock? Either straddling is legal or it isn't. If it's legal, how can they stop people from straddling? That seems silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the whole passing around chips to start the rock that they got pissed about I'm pretty sure.

I think canterbury is the one who's putting the axe down more because of the uncomfortability factor.

There is nothing to stop players from keeping track of it themselves, but they want no 'identifyers'.