Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 4 vs. 13
Metallica 95 69.85%
Velvet Underground 41 30.15%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Is Mankind Smart Enough?

But what if the important answers are simply out of man's reach? In other words, we aren't smart enough and never will be? Unlike yourself, I think this is the more likely scenario.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:29 PM

We've only been asking questions for a few thousand years, and (I think) we've come a long way. We don't know how long the road is. We still don't really know what the important questions are.

Sorry you feel that way, but history doesn't bear that line of thinking out.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've only been asking questions for a few thousand years, and (I think) we've come a long way. We don't know how long the road is. We still don't really know what the important questions are.

Sorry you feel that way, but history doesn't bear that line of thinking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing in history that suggests we must have it in our capacity to eventually figure everything out, even if we survive millions of years into the future. Think of it this way...

How long would you give the species "Dog" to evolve to the point where one could understand the workings of a combustible engine? Never? I agree.

It is very possible (in fact, most likely), that there are things which are completely beyond our capacity to understand. I do agree with some other posters that it is much more likely we will create machines that will get further than us.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM

I had a million "Yeah, buts...", but only time will tell. 100 years ago they would have never seen us where we're at now.

As long as the distractions don't capture 100% of our progeny, there will always be someone working to move forward. I agree with you somewhat, but I don't see the mental barriers. We're missing so much information now, we can't even gauge how much is missing.

As far as the dogs go, they are what they are, they're not trying to understand engines. Breed one that cares and is interested and you just never know.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:15 PM

The problem in the question IMHO is that it ignores the likelihood that our capabilities themselves will be improved in the future.

How soon are computer enhancements going to start appearing? Things like an interface to do calculator-level math problems "in our heads" just as easily as we can currently add 2+2? Or how about being able to "remember" hundreds (or thousands, etc) of the "classics" ... or any other data you might want? How soon until a reasonable facsimile of an eidetic memory is available to everyone who wants one?

I would say that these advances in human capability will be available within a hundred years or so, and that is probably being conservative. I would also think that this is just the tip of the iceburg.

Just how human someone with these enhancements (and/or more advanced versions) will still be is debatable.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 PM

Yes.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank"and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 04:19 PM

im not sure that intelligence alone is enough.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:37 PM

One man, has a limited capacity for learning, and couldn't learn an unlimited amount of knowledge. (I don't think) Unless he could live forever, but would his brain fill up? However as a species, maybe we could learn an infite amount of knowledge, with an inifite amount of time, and children. But could we put it all together at once? And use it?