Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Solution

Quote:
Since A and B do not know then C knows that his number is different from 2A,2B,(1/2)A,(1/2)B
C additionally knows that his number is different from (1/3)A. If C = (1/3)A, then B would have noted A - C = 2C, and knowing (from what A said) that B does not equal 2C, would have concluded B = A + C. For this reason I don't think you can assume wlog that B>A.

Say for instance C said his number was 49 instead of 50. Then A = 21 B = 28 C = 49 would be a solution (the problem as originally stated would make sense), although A = 28 B = 21 C = 49 is not. C is able to eliminate 28 - 21 = 7 =(1/3)21 in the first case. (I think )
Old 08-12-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Another Logic Puzzle

C knows his number is fifty because both a and b say they dont know because the two numbers they see could be added together or one could be part of the other. Since both b and a said it and the only number they see in common is his, his number must the the one that could be reached from either of the other numbers. then he only has to add the two together and a and b just subtract.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:52 AM

just read the other answers mine is pretty much the same and just as wrong
Old 08-12-2005, 03:33 AM

did my other answer not post
Old 08-12-2005, 03:44 AM

well it didnt so here go again tell me if you think im right

C knows A(for the sake of arguement) is the smallest # because it is less than half of B so A either adds to C to get B or vice versa

C knowing he is greater than A relized that B knowing C is greater that A must think he is less than A or greater than C. Since C knows A is the smallest number he deduces B is Greater than his number therefore he is the middle number and is equal to B-A the other two realizing only the middle number could figure this out compare C's number to the other persons they can see to find out if they are greater than or less than C then use simple arithmatic to get there numbers which we can't know for sure for lack of data but know a<1/2b(still asuming that a not b was the lesser i chose this arbitrarily for explanitory convenience).