Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Ladies Limit Hold Em on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
If you replace hot with dirty and trashy, you have a very accurate description.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real question is, what's Daryn's call on the Hot or Not topic?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 AM

There are two big problems with this which is why I didn't bother to watch:

1. the whole idea of a "ladies" tournement is BS, this isn't a physical sport, its a freakin card game, lets get real. No need for seperate womens events.

2. Its a limit tourny. I would rather play bingo than play a limit tourny and there is about that much skill involved.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:10 AM

The real reason is $$$. There is no money in that tournament. I could host a Ladies only tournament in my apartment, and I guarantee she won't come. Not because of sexism. She just didn't want to sound like a snobby btch
Old 07-28-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on a straight draw!

[/ QUOTE ] I think I'm gonna squint my eyes and put on a dress and try this line.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should Annie or any of the best women in the world play in a womens only tourney when they are clearly good enough to compete and win in a regular event.

I am not even clear why they need a womens only event. Can you imagine if they decided to have a mens only event!

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..its not like its a normal sport where men have a natural stength and athletic advantage.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are two big problems with this which is why I didn't bother to watch:

1. the whole idea of a "ladies" tournement is BS, this isn't a physical sport, its a freakin card game, lets get real. No need for seperate womens events.

2. Its a limit tourny. I would rather play bingo than play a limit tourny and there is about that much skill involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your second point is ridiculous. You can learn much more watching good pros play limit than watching a bunch of all ins preflop. No skill? Absurd. Howard Lederer won the PartyPoker Million I. The WPT that was limit this season had several solid pros at the final table.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Well, it gave them a chance to show some half way decent looking poker players, I guess. Style over substance. If only Evelyn Ng and Clonie whats-her-face were there with Ms Jett, the asian woman who won, and the blonde with the linebacker husband.

They're not showing any hi/lo events at all. Maybe split pots are too boring. They didn't even make a half hearted attempt to explain how the game is played to the average viewer, so they're probably not showing them because they think the rules are too complicated for Joe Six-Pack to comprehend.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Everytime I see Annie Duke, I want to throw in in a hot tub and scrub her down real good, then give her fifty bucks so she can visit something I'm sure she's never seen in her whole life: A beauty salon.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 PM

I don't think the reasoning is in question at all. if you have two options, you pick the most profitable, of course. When you pick an option though, berating the option you didnt pick and sounding like a complete obnoxious bitch in the proccess is just unneccessary.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why should Annie or any of the best women in the world play in a womens only tourney when they are clearly good enough to compete and win in a regular event.

I am not even clear why they need a womens only event. Can you imagine if they decided to have a mens only event!

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..its not like its a normal sport where men have a natural stength and athletic advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it is a game where women are woefully underrepresented. Of course, that begs the question... Why do they have Seniors only events?