Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: I need you all.

I just crunched my total numbers for the last 2 weeks.

Limit:3-6
Hands played: 16514
Amount won: $523.61
BB per 100: 0.53

Very low for me, but not as bad as I thought. Regardless, I'm taking some time away from poker. I came unglued today and hated myself for every minute of it. I was berating other players for making and hitting ludicrous draws against me (i.e. flopping a 2nd pair 5 and calling re-raises against my K-K only to hit another 5 on the river). I know better. I even had a 2+2er at my one of my tables who seemed shocked to see me saying the things I was saying and, I believe he said, "behaving poorly". I was ashamed but so worked up at the time I didn't care. I played solid but my slide continued. Now that it's all said and done, I'm down $800.00 for the week. A far cry from the $1323.00 I was up last week. I need to regroup.

Durring my time away from the tables I do not plan on being away from poker. I am going to re-read many of my books again (TOP, SSH, HPFAP, Zen and the Art of Poker) and begin to read Harrington on Hold'em, Middle Limit Hold'em, and Real Poker II. I also plan to take quite a bit of time reading and posting here on 2+2 and some time to work on controlling my emotions. I'd like to just better myself while putting all of this behind me and starting off '05 with some better than ever poker play.

Thanks to you all, and good luck on the tables.

Cheers,

deacsoft
Old 12-03-2004, 11:12 PM

Deac,

I've seen you at the tables and you are playing fine. You are going to have streaks like this. My worst has been a -110 BB slide in ONE DAY! but the next day I made over 120 BB! This game is crazy... It wears on you... But if you are bankrolled you just gotta weather the storm my friend.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:59 PM

FWIW...

Limit:2-4
Hands played: 10525
Amount won: <font color="red">-$199.09</font>
BB per 100: <font color="red">-0.47</font>

Am I starting to question whether I can beat 2/4 or not? Yes.

Do I really believe I can't beat 2/4 when I beat the tar out of .5/1 and 1/2? No.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:34 PM

One thing you should do is NOT to make sarcastic comments during play about players who chase their three-outers. I caught a couple of your comments when I was observing one of your tables yesterday.

If you feel that you just have to type something to express frustration, then just say "lol," "tee hee," or something like that.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 PM

agreed with chesspain.
if you are doing this it's time to get up from the table and take a break.

I know that some people handle losing-skids in different ways than others....but honestly, this isn't even THAT bad of a streak.
It WILL happen to you again.
You really need to do whatever is necessary to handle such a losing streak...because they can happen at any time...and sometimes can happen back to back to back.

Whenever I sit down I think in terms of whether I can handle losing 100BB's at the level I'm playing at.
If I can honestly say "that would kinda suck....but I can live with it" then I'll play at that level.

You should ALWAYS be prepared for the possibility that you will drop 50BB's or more when you sit-down.
If you had been losing for the last 10 days in a row and aren't sure whether you could honestly handle dropping 50BB more than that....then you should be playing at a lower level.

Play the best you can....but you can NEVER expect the wins to come on any specific day. Thus, I choose to prepare (expect...whatever, semantics) to lose.

That works for me anyway.....you HAVE to find what works for you.
Otherwise the variance will put you on a tilt that will eat you alive.

Something else I do:
If I've been a bit frustrated lately or am just a little burnt-out, I'll either take a break....or just settle in at a couple of low buy-in MTT's or freerolls or something.
Placing in the money is a nice little confidence boost....and not making the money doesn't really matter too much.

Laughter is good medicine too. Turn on Comedy Central and watch Jon Stewart or something.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I took a hit of 67.5BBs today in 1315 hands. I haven't seen a day like this in 6-7 months. It was a day from hell. I lost in every horrible way a player can lose. Though I don't remember any 1 outers. I'm just not sure how to deal with it. Any words of encouragement out there? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost 78 BB's a few days ago, and this wasn't too long after stepping up to a new limit. But about a week before that I won 94 one day, yesterday 66 and today 30 so far. I've found that since I've started using Poker Tracker consistently, the swings don't sting nearly as much because I'm able to look at things from a broader perspective. Anytime I start to get pissed off after a big loss, I fire up PT and look at my overall BB/100. Then I breathe a sigh of relief, get something to eat and watch a movie.

So, if you don't have PT I suggest you purchase it. Otherwise, just use a simple Excel spreadsheet to track your overall progress.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 PM

What you have lost is really not signifcant in terms of BBs, although it does hurt.

Bet the turn in this hand though (I would bet it against pretty much any opponent but the guy you were against was loose and passive, it is a clear bet):

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Deacsoft is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB <font color="purple">(deacsoft)</font> checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">deacsoft bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
deacsoft checks, Button checks.

River: (2.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
deacsoft checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 2.16 BB

I also have another hand on you where you check-called the river but I am pretty sure that bet-fold was the better play. It seems close though, this is the only one that really stood out.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 PM

agree withg spamuell.