Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Is Nothing Possible?

Stat,

[ QUOTE ]

For one thing, I also run into problems when thinking about, Where did God come from? or how He could have just eternally existed. I believe you answered this elsewhere, but I can't recall your exact reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not I. You must have me confused with another poster. I have enough problems dealing with where did we come from, let alone God. Lol. Actually, I simply rely that He is eternal and forget about it. I guess atheists do the same thing absent a God. I mean they don’t get beyond what we know. I don’t get beyond that my God always was and is the creator.

As far as another dimension - I think that does not negate God. It might answer a few questions (not all of them I am sure). Not sure if it would answer the nothing question or not.

RJT
Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Nothing and infinite are both difficult to comprehend, as is finite and infinite existence. I don't think our puny brains will ever know the answer.

But it does remind me of that great Dilbert strip, which finishes something like....

Dogbert: It's because you have no personality.
Dilbert: I do so have a personality.
Dogbert: Oh no. We're not going to get into that 'Zero is a number' argument again, are we?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:00 PM

I believe the correct answer is that 'nothing is something' although that may just be a joke.

chez
Old 11-04-2005, 05:18 PM

I think, therefore I am.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think, therefore I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat familiar with this quote. I don't believe Descartes was ponticating nothing, but whether we can be sure that anything really exists. Do you think this is the same thing? Maybe you're right.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think, therefore I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat familiar with this quote. I don't believe Descartes was ponticating nothing, but whether we can be sure that anything really exists. Do you think this is the same thing? Maybe you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I am conscious. If there were nothing in the universe, how could I be conscious. I exist.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I question whether nothing is even possible and this is why I'm agnostic and recognize the possibility of a creator or even an omnipotent God. I just cannot imagine the reality of NOTHING, because even the reality of nothing is something!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like at least a couple leaps in logic here. Suppose it is impossible for us to actually conceive of *nothing* or to conceive of there being nothing. It doesn't follow that it is impossible for there to be nothing.

Suppose it is a necessary truth that there has to be something (i.e., suppose now that it is, in fact, impossible for there to be nothing). Why does this mean that there must be a god?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I question whether nothing is even possible and this is why I'm agnostic and recognize the possibility of a creator or even an omnipotent God. I just cannot imagine the reality of NOTHING, because even the reality of nothing is something!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like at lesat a couple leaps in logic here.Suppose it is impossible for us to actually conceive of *nothing* or to conceive of there being nothing. It doesn't follow that it is impossible for there to be nothing.

Suppose it is a necessary truth that there has to be something (i.e., suppose now that it is, in fact, impossible for there to be nothing). Why does this mean that there must be a god?

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT

The leaps are yours. Lestat does not attempt to nor does draw any conclusions. Stat, merely presents the issue for discussion.

Your points are of course correct.

RJT
Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

RJT

The leaps are yours. Lestat does not attempt to nor does draw any conclusions. Stat, merely presents the issue for discussion.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ. Lestat said, "I question whether nothing is even possible and this is why I'm agnostic and recognize the possibility of a creator or even an omnipotent God."

This is an inference.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 AM

I am certainly not a philosopher. I didn't say it "follows" that "nothing" is possible, or that "nothing" means a God. It just seems to me that the former is, and the latter might be.