Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Slow rolling advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
POST:"I need suggestions: my wife is into bondage and is a masochist, what sort of grip could I use to hit her with that she would enjoy, but wouldn't cause bruising?"

REPLY:"You hit a woman at my house and you'll be choking on your own teeth."

REPLY:"As a woman if i ever dated a man who hit me he'd get my knee in his crotch, you [censored]."

REPLY:"I can't believe you'd even think of hitting a woman"

Feel free to add your own as you see fit. To everybody who responded with some manner of "u slowroll mothafucka i kill you," if you PM me, I'd be more than happy to give you a little refresher course on how to tie your shoes. You're probably better off with Velcro though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point. I also feel it is my civic duty to to inform slowrollers that they are idiots and I'll tell you why.

I used to slowroll in my early poker days in home games and such. Does anybody know why I stopped? Anybody? Two words: NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

I remember it to this day when sombody told me what a douche bag I was for slowrolling.

*This is how people learn not to be douche bags by the way.

Anybody on a poker forum starting a thread about improving slowroll technique falls into the "douche bag" category IMO.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all of this is contingent on the low, relaxed stakes and the fact that i destroy my home games so i don't really care if flipping a card or saying my hand is -EV. these are cousins of slow-rolling that can be a blast for the whole table -- even people not in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, one thing I like to do when I feel like gambling it up is call on the flop knowing I need a perfect card to have a draw on the turn. Example....I have T7, flop K83. I will call the flop and yell out "c'mon 9" before the turn is shown. If the turn is a 9, I will raise the next 2 streets like a madman and if you win without a showdown, this is one of the best bluffs you can show.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody on a poker forum starting a thread about improving slowroll technique falls into the "douche bag" category IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Great question, guy.

I love these...lessee... I had a degenerate friend once who talked to his chips. "What? What's that? You want to go in the pot? OK, here ya go guys!"

Try: dropping one card or the ground "by accident" then leaping in the air screaming "NUTS!"
OR: licking the back of the blank card if the other gives you the hand and sticking it (the blank) to your forehead throughout the hand?
Maybe: put the cards in your pants preflop and make your wife get them out at showdown?
Finally: Lie. "I just have a pair...of hearts!"

I'll keep thinking about this, maybe I'll instate the Slow Rollers Club rules at my favorite 1-2 NL game. It a lot more exciting there I bet!

Actually, pointlessly, this one total fish committed a hilarious slowroll by accident last night. He calls many pot sized bets all the way to the river, where the board is like : QJ5T3 w/ a running flush. The bettor, pretty solid player looks disgusted and checks. Fish checks. The bettor says, “can you beat two aces?” Fish thinks and sez "Well, no..." Bettor smiles and turns them up. Fish puts his cards down picks them up quick and looks at them and sez... "Oh wait, I can, I have Q3...I thought you had a SET of aces..."

Horrible. You can't beat the accidental geniuses!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 PM

My advice is don't do it until all the cards are out.

I was playing a home tournament and it was down to the final 4 players. I was down to about 5xBB so I was pushing quite a bit. One player kept talking about how he was going to "catch me". Eventually, he limped UTG, folded to me in BB I push with JJ. He goes in the tank, has me count out my stack, and evetually calls. He tables AA with a smirk on his face.

Board: KQT9A [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

The instant he calls, scream out your hand like you were holding back an orgasm. Then fake a great sense of relief and quickly fall asleep.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:35 PM

Have something to eat near the table. Pretend you can't flip over your cards until you've swallowed every last bit. Turn the cards over only when you need to use them to pick your teeth.

Sound effects when you slam the cards, one-by-one, to the table are extremely effective.

Call out entirely the wrong hand...and make them read your cards while you go to the washroom.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM

Default A double slow roll?

I'm an internet player so don't if this would "work" in a face-to-face situation but how about something along these lines.

When he shows you his cards you slow roll but overcall your hand and lay cards down. Then say, sorry mate just joking, didn't really pull the flush or whatever, take it. Then as he goes for pot say, hang on..but I still beat you with XY.

Sort of a double slow roll?

(I do know slow rolling is not generally acceptable but that's my answer to the question!)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:21 PM

When your opponent (named Jack, for this example) reveals his cards, raise your eyebrows and calmly say, "Wow, that's a real nice hand, Jack...FOR ME TO POOP ON!" and throw down your cards.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: String betting advice needed

Thank you for the assistance with the slow rolling. To be honest, most of the suggestions were lame. Maybe the string betting subject will provoke more creative thought.