Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Kido Pham call from WSOP Circuit-he\'s at it again

Kido's at it again, Pokerpages on the case:

Tuesday, 22nd of November 2005 04:20 PM
Blinds 3k/6k, 500 ante. Joe Hachem has about 350k, Kido Pham 290k and change.

JC Tran makes it 18,000 to go. Kido makes it 50,000 and Joe makes it 150,000. JC gives this one up. Kido goes all-in and Joe calls straight-away.

Joe has Ks Kd and Kido Js 10c.
It takes 5 minutes to count the chips Joe has more.
The flop Js Jh 2s WHOA THE CROWD GO WILD. Kido has hit twice.

The turn is a 6c and the river the Ad . Tragedy for the big pair, Joe has 40,000 left and Kido now has over 600,000.

Joe Hachem was crippled in that hand and wound up finishing 5th.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Kido Pham call from WSOP Circuit - insane?

eerily similar to the raymer/whoever hand from the WSOP, except one street earlier

pham played this hand like a donk - but the final call was pretty easy
Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 PM

I understand (and understood) that Pham was getting the right price to call. I guess my question was misleading - I was trying to get the point across that is it really wise to call of essentially your whole tourney so close to the money in a situation where he could have been dominated (I think from the way the hand was played Zilem could have had KhQh, Jh9h, etc.)? As was said above, I understand that the call was really the same Raymer/Kanter situation. Call me a donk if you want, but I don't know if I could pull the trigger for all my chips on a 6-high flush draw.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 PM

How is raising a $20k bet(~$34k pot) to $60k on a low flush draw flop *fine*? I'd like to hear a reasonable breakdown on why it wouldn't be better to just call and see a card, esp. if you plan to call a reraise all-in anyway. And what's up with pushing, over obvious strength, with JTo? Was he trying a squeeze? (Edit: oh I read the hand wrong, I guess he thought Hachem might be trying a squeeze)

I agree Ziem coldcalling with Qs seems a little weird too, was he trying to trap?

These pros are on some level I can't comprehend.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand (and understood) that Pham was getting the right price to call. I guess my question was misleading - I was trying to get the point across that is it really wise to call of essentially your whole tourney so close to the money in a situation where he could have been dominated (I think from the way the hand was played Zilem could have had KhQh, Jh9h, etc.)? As was said above, I understand that the call was really the same Raymer/Kanter situation. Call me a donk if you want, but I don't know if I could pull the trigger for all my chips on a 6-high flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

this wasnt the same as raymer/kanter at all. he was aggressively playing a flopped four-flush and ended up pot-committed. kanter called off a 1/2 pot drawing to runner runner.

and the play with JT was just bad. i mean, i wasnt reading the updates, so i dont know how frisky hachem was getting, but when someone puts in a third bet preflop for a large chunk of their chips, the only thing you're folding is a pure dan harrington 62o squeeze. i mean, maybe pham had a read. if so, he clearly had a pretty terrible read. but, you know, whatever. that's poker.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a lack of respect, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious?

get the [censored] out of here. a "lack of respect?" thats gotta be among the top 10 stupidest things said at a poker table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing the $200 6pm tourney in the other room when poor Ricky came out and started telling a friend at our table his story. He was seriously bummed--really looked like he might upchuck right there. He's young, he'd paid $10000 outta his pocket to enter, and he got so close to the money and was doing well. He put his money in with way the best hand and lost to a draw. I don't expect a young player in that state of mind to come up with a lot of clever, well-thought-out quotes as he's leaving the table. Give him a break.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM

I can forgive him his incredibly lame comment given the exteme nature of his situation.

That doesn't make his comment less lame, just less reflective on his normal character.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He put his money in with way the best hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, 68% favorite.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM

One thing you'll soon realize is that any play at any time that turns out a winner will be deemed "mathematically correct" by this forum. Unless it involves Raymer, and he happens to be on the losing end. Then it's automatically deemed a donkey play.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's so insane about making a call where you're getting 3 to 1 on a 2 to 1 dog?

Ironically, you can make a case for everything but the call to be insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're basically making the argument that you should make a call when you have the correct odds to do so. This is common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Im just jumping into this thread to remind some perhaps cash game orientated players that ChipEV does not equal $EV in tournies and SNGs.