Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you find an auto-folding online helper program useful?
Yes - free only 25 17.73%
Yes - up to $5 only 6 4.26%
Yes - I'd pay up to anything 7 4.96%
No I wouldn't use it 94 66.67%
Maybe 9 6.38%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: You Can\'t Go Pro Without Already Being a Pro

Well the conversation this weekend was about my applying to game design school. Which I thought was a legitimate compromise being that it is a more legitamate job. But it was a no go.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:48 PM

At some point you just have to do what you think is best for you. Parents can have a lot of wisdom, but even when they do they can have a lot of silly ideas in their head, like the notion that life and work are supposed to suck. They aren't, they are what you make them.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably gonna burn out if I keep doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems likely. Remember that once you hit the wall it might take a year or so to recover, so this is a matter to be taken seriously.

[ QUOTE ]
If I do well they are just gonna promote me to another job I hate.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not that dark, the better you do, the more power you will have and the more you can influence your own situation. If you do very well over a long period they will become dependent upon you and they will be willing to stretch far to satisfy you.

[ QUOTE ]
Parents: Life is suppose to suck. Work is suppose to suck. The majority of your time in this life is doing [censored] you hate. It's part of making a living. (Long speach about how hard we've worked for you to get ahead).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Two different planets [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Accepting their philosophy is a too large sacrifice for you to make, IMO.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Yeah they do have a totally different outlook. I don't think I can change thier minds. They built thier life on it.

Within a month I'll get a new desk assingment. If I don't like it I'll probably give my roomates 30 days notice. I don't know if I should tell them or just do it.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:04 PM

Do it before you tell them, if not it will only be some nasty weeks with them doing everything to try to make you change your mind. Tell them quite quickly after you do it.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2005, 05:15 PM

i went pro with like a 1500$ bankroll lol
Old 11-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Dude, youre 22. Its time to make youre own decisions and do what you want, not what your parents want.

And by the way....your parents have nothing to live for besides you? Get real. Thats a bit overdramatic and egotistical if you ask me. You think theyre going to shrink up and die, if you are out of their lives for whatever reason?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:19 PM

Your avatar is so approriate here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 05:55 PM

Lehighguy I know exactly where you are coming from man. Here's my experience-

I'm 24 and a 3L at law school. After 2 years of law school, I thought it sucked and I like running my software company and whatever else I do for cash so I said hey I'll give it a go, I've saved money, my wife has a good job, supports my decision and she pulls in enough for both of us anyways so we'll never be broke, I gotta quit law school and make it so I can come back and finish if I fall flat on my face. I told my parents and they weren't happy, they never paid for any college or school of mine (my choice, not theirs) but they thought I was making a big mistake. I saw no reason to dump another $18k and year of my life into law school, they thought it was incredibly dumb to leave.

They told me that they'd pay for my school this last year and take my wife and I on a couple really nice vacations, 1 fall and 1 spring so I don't get too stressed out. I still said no.

I thought about it though, and I ended up caving. They only would do this for me because they really thought I would be making a mistake and they really thought it would help me. So I ended up going back for them. They've never pointed me wrong and I can finish this out as sort of a favor to pay them back for everything they've done for me.

Now I'm a semester into it and I realize that this was retarded. My heart's not in it and it takes way too much time away from stuff that I actually want to do. Long story, short summary- don't live your life for other people- you are young, take a risk and do what you want to do. I'm living proof that taking a year out of your life to please your parents sucks. Now imagine working [censored] jobs you hate for the rest of your life to please yours. Don't do it! You only get 1 shot at your early 20s, go watch the movie Office Space and then do what you are passionate about.

Sorry that was so long.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Well, they work all day. When they aren't working they just do chores or watch TV. They have no friends to my knowledge, no clubs, no hobbies except my Dad's singing once a week.

Work, eat, die.