Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist dies, RIP

Bush should offer Sandra Day O'Connor the position (which has been rumoured to be a possibility if Rehnquist resigned), let the Senate fast track Roberts through and call it a draw.

I don't think Bush and our country can handle another controversy without having a major meltdown.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:00 AM

as we all know, O'connor has already stepped down, and I don't see her going back just to be cheif justice
Old 09-04-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as we all know, O'connor has already stepped down, and I don't see her going back just to be cheif justice

[/ QUOTE ]

She will remain on the court until her replacement is sworn in, but I agree, she is too smart to get conned into staying.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RIP to a great Chief Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rehnquist was one of the most shameless and thoroughly dishonest men ever to serve on the court. He deserves no more respect in death than he did in life.

q/q
Old 09-04-2005, 09:53 PM

Lemme guess, you're referring to WHR's memo during the Brown v BOE deliberations while he was a SCOTUS clerk, and his vote in Bush v Gore, right?

Otherwise, please explain.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lemme guess, you're referring to WHR's memo during the Brown v BOE deliberations while he was a SCOTUS clerk, and his vote in Bush v Gore, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm referring to virtually every opinion he ever authored. The man was a political hack. Worse, he both understood and embraced that role. Scalia at least tries to disguise his political role behind a ruse of "strict constructionism". Rehnquist didn't even have the sense of shame necessary to do that much.

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a casebook, start reading. It requires a lot of experience and a lot of study to begin to grasp the big picture as to what he was actually doing over his career on the court, and it's well beyond the scope of a poker forum like this.

q/q

On edit : based on your reply to BGC's previous comment, it's clear that you at least understand his attempts to roll back Commerce Clause jurisprudence to the radical right-wing activism of 1890-1936. I presume you also understand that this will eliminate nearly a century's worth of federal protections for American labor rights. In fact, based on your other replies on this thread, it is clear that you embrace this radical activist goal, and praise Rehnquist for advancing it. I hope others here take serious note of this fact.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Good Synopsis Of WHR\'s Tenure, For Laypeople.

[ QUOTE ]
Get a casebook, start reading. It requires a lot of experience and a lot of study to begin to grasp the big picture as to what he was actually doing over his career on the court, and it's well beyond the scope of a poker forum like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. I think this is an outstanding article, written by an experienced, qualified, and hardly conservative legal writer.

Here's another one.

One thing I've noticed in all articles so far is the universal praise for WHR as "leader" of the Court in comparison to Burger.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Good Synopsis Of WHR\'s Tenure, For Laypeople.

Here are some other ones, albeit with a different tenor:

link

link
Old 09-05-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It requires a lot of experience and a lot of study to begin to grasp the big picture as to what he was actually doing over his career on the court, and it's well beyond the scope of a poker forum like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't support your position in a way for the people on this forum to understand it, then (I would suggest) your opinion is well founded.

Frankly, your response sounded like a major cop-out.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
RIP to a great Chief Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rehnquist was one of the most shameless and thoroughly dishonest men ever to serve on the court. He deserves no more respect in death than he did in life.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who disagrees with me is a liar, and a hack, and deserves to die, and is mean, and wants to eat babies, and whine whine whine.