Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Intuition?

How did you do it?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:33 PM

I'm interested in the paradigm you've used. I work at a dutch university trying to land a phd position in the field of visual attention.

I've been trying to use implicit learning in my own research. But in this case I'm referring to priming subjects with briefly presented objects. So brief they are not consciously perceived (under 20ms).

I'm building on the results from semantic priming paradigms where they found that it's possible to prime subject with unconsciously perceived words.

So, I assume you are referring to similar paradigms but I might be wrong. Please clarify.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:34 PM

This clearly proves that you do not have ESP, Dr. Al
Old 04-06-2004, 05:52 PM

However true your statements are about logic prevailing over intuiting in the long run and logic being something that can be taught; in poker you often have to make decisions quick. You can't sit there reasoning out a hand for a couple of minutes, and sometimes not even for a couple of seconds. I play mostly big bet poker, but I know that especially in limit poker acting quick is of high importance. I often find myself making decisions on less than perfect reasoning.

And I expect that you'll probably argue that as you gain experience these thought processes are internalized, but that brings us back to intuition being the sum of different variables in the first place.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:44 AM

I'm using a mac, so its option e followed by e. the option e gives you an the accent but no letter appears the next letter you press will give that letter an accent.

On a PC its either 'Control e, Alt e, window type symbol e.

Theres loads of them. Knock yourself out.

à, è, ö, ¥, ü,

On a side note, i use all these cos I'm a graphic designer and I have always wondered who designs 2+2 books. Is it Stevie Wonder?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hope to see some interesting symbols in your next post [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always wondered who designs 2+2 books. Is it Stevie Wonder?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! That's the first thing I thought when I got TOP in the mail. Even though I'm pleased with the interior design, the cover was a tad....surprising...

And apart from "inside the poker mind" i have to say the same goes for the other books [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, even though he is among the world greatest players, if you tried to play NLHE the way Doyle suggests in S/S, you will almost certainly go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but with a clarification. I really like S/S, especially the NL section. However, I don't "play like Doyle" all the time. I think it's quite helpful to read what he's written, and gain insight as to how he plays. Some of the stuff in there is very solid and useful, like not going broke in an unraised pot. Other things, like always playing the next hand after he wins a pot, are pretty silly for the average player to do. Stuff like this is why I always recommend that S/S be read by advanced players, who can appreciate the historical aspects of the book, and not newbies (whom it will generally confuse more than help).

al
Old 04-07-2004, 11:25 AM

"How often do you rely on intuition when making decisions at the table?"

My main dictionary only has one definition for "intuition." It reads: the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning."

If I had to put numbers to my most financially consequencial poker decisions, I'd say 95% of my betting decisions are made intuitively, as are 10% of my quitting (game selection) decisions.

Tommy
Old 04-07-2004, 12:57 PM

While I think much of his style can be destructive if used in situations that are just slightly not optimal (like putting in big raises when your esp says the player is weak [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) not going broke in an unraised pot is the advice that has turned me from a break even player to a winning player. The main reason I was breaking even was giving my money back by doing something stupid like getting broke in an unraised pot.

Then again my sample isn't large so I could be a loser. My win rate has however been large enough that I feel confident it is both good cards and not horrific play that has done it.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:00 PM

Tommy,

Good to see you here. It's WSOP time, and you usually come to Las Vegas for it. When are you coming down?

Regards,

Al