Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: How long can you hold your breath?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The pot has 17 BB, so the guy has to call with a worse hand 17 times for every time he might fold a better hand. On this one I say do what you can to win the pot!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm reading the action correctly, the EP cold-called two bets, and now he can close the action by calling a 3rd one, with a huge pot on the line. I don't see anyone folding a strong hand here once in 100 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any Party 15/30 opponents folding a better hand here ever ... except for a misclick, which is probably closer to 1 in 1000.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The pot has 17 BB, so the guy has to call with a worse hand 17 times for every time he might fold a better hand. On this one I say do what you can to win the pot!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm reading the action correctly, the EP cold-called two bets, and now he can close the action by calling a 3rd one, with a huge pot on the line. I don't see anyone folding a strong hand here once in 100 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well someone does. We live of the mistake of our opponents and they do make them: what would he coldcall with and not call that last bet?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:05 PM

Tosh & Ulysses,

Sorry, I must have read the post to fast, I was thinking the A made the straight on the end. Thanks for pointing it out.

In this situation, I think the EP could fold a straight here but most likely EP doesnt have a striaght and prolly calls for one more if he did. So you are prolly right here as well.

Thanks,
-Stoney
Old 05-13-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well someone does. We live of the mistake of our opponents and they do make them: what would he coldcall with and not call that last bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty obvious to me that he most likely had the As and rivered a pair.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty obvious to me that he most likely had the As and rivered a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's very likely. My point was that no matter what he had, he made a big mistake by either coldcalling or folding. If he had a bigger hand he played it very weak which adds to the chance that he'll fold for one more bet.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't imagine someone laying down trips or better in that situation. I'm with Ulysses here, I think he came to his senses and realized top pair was no good.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was that no matter what he had, he made a big mistake by either coldcalling or folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. My point remains that pushing EP off a better hand than top two is a very bad reason to 3-bet here. You definitely want EP to call here, not fold.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point was that no matter what he had, he made a big mistake by either coldcalling or folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. My point remains that pushing EP off a better hand than top two is a very bad reason to 3-bet here. You definitely want EP to call here, not fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

checked to me again, and breathing a little easier I bet. Now the button comes to life and raises ??? UTG folds, EP calls and MP folds.

He allready called!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Hi rigoletto,
[ QUOTE ]
A small flush, the ass end straight (maybe even the high end), a set. The point is that Davids play is consistant with the nut flush and it doesn't have to work many times to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it does have to work more than one out of a million times, and it will not. No one will fold any of the hands you described for one bet on the end. Now, if you tell me that you've folded in the above situation, I guess that makes me wrong (about the frequency that this play will work). But, it makes you wrong in a much more serious way.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM

i have no idea how one could justify folding a straight on the river in this hand. the idea of doing it for one more bet on the river seems even more ridiculous.

citanul