Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: I Slowplayed

If opponent 3-bets the river, then you can begin to ponder.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:58 PM

Yeah, but why raise? If so, you are hoping he has AA, QQ, or KJ. I don't see any of those based on previous action. AA or QQ checks the river. KJ isn't likely from PF action.

This is important for me to understand because if I raise the turn and someone bets into me on the river, my S.O.P. is to only raise the river with the nuts or close to it.

Here we've got the 3rd nuts, which is good. But everything UTG+1 has done tells me he has KK. Of course he just called the river which means he doesn't have it, but that was the first evidence.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Just can\'t do it.

Great point, Stheif.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:23 PM

I suppose my reason for raising is that people don't always have the hand they are representing. I figured my hand would be good more than 50% of the time when called and I was prepared to call a reraise.

Perhaps its a little thin, but I wouldn't respect myself in the morning if I couldn't raise this river.

Turns out he had a pair of nines, so he overplayed it a little bit.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:40 PM

On the surface this hand doesn't have the conditions needed for slowplaying. The pot is large, there are few cards that will make someone a 2nd best hand, there are a couple of miracle cards out there, and my opponents will not be folding if I 3-bet the flop.

However, there are very likely already two second best hands that have only a small chance of outdrawing me. So I have to balance out maximizing my chances of winning the pot and maximizing the size of the pot via deception. No one here is getting a free or cheap card anyway.

Any overpairs are coming along if I 3-bet, so it doesn't do much to improve my chances of winning, so I think disguising my hand has greater value here.

I posted this because it was unusual. I took a risk and would not be crying if I were outdrawn.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:56 AM

I think capping the flop would be a pretty big mistake. Nobody is folding and you've just SCREAMED set. Why the hell would you want to do that? Let somebody at least bet into you on the turn and you can get in a raise on the big bets, when they are more tied to the pot. Raising the flop is less +ev if you ask me. I just don't think it's right at ALL.

I'm curious what mason or mk would say to this, cause this is one situation i'm pretty sure i'm right on, yet don't agree with the majority.