Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: cooking steaks

[ QUOTE ]
If you get a good cut of meat there is no need to marinate. The key to cooking is to sear in the juices. So cook both sides on high on a gas grill for 1-2 minutes. Then reduce heat and cook to taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great way to have a n00b completely [censored] up his steak.

Searing in flavor is a must, however, I'm a fan of the leave it alone approach. Much easier for someone who is new to steak cooking to do it that way.

Your way is nice, for the more intermediate-level griller.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM

This marinade is great for any stringy cuts like hanger, flank, or skirt steak. Marinade for 24 hours and cut on a bias before serving. It's important to cut stringy steaks like this to break the fibers.

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup minced yellow onion
1 tbl dry mustard
1 tbl black pepper
1/3 cup minced garlic
1 cup microbrew porter
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup honey
1 cup olive oil

Seem like a lot but trust me it's worth it. Follow others advice on searing steaks and definately use a WEBER!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:42 PM

I've not read all the other replies and there are many ways to prepare a steak. Like all foods, people have different tastes. For me, there are a few different ways to prepare.

We'll assume that the cut is a NY Strip.

Option #1 - Very basic. I honestly will stick to salt (either sea salt or kosher salt.... NO table salt junk) and pepper. Season both sides and rub. A grill (real grill, not GF) is a must. I personally use gas, but enjoy charcoal as well. You have a choice of either seasoning the meat and then spraying with something to prevent sticking or you can first lightly coat with extra virgin olive oil before seasoning. Anyway, once seasoned and grill is hot, I put the steaks on. You want the steaks to sear. Shouldn't take too long... maybe 2 minutes (timing all depends on how hot your grill runs) on one side and then flip. Cook a couple more minutes and then turn down the flame (assuming gas). For medium rare, you want the steak to have the same firmness as the part of your hand between your index finger and your thumb (when your fingers are straight out). The more firm the steak, the more done it is. Anything beyond that is too done, IMO. The goal is to make a great tasting dinner, not a hockey puck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] With your tongs, check the firmness of the steak and then pull from the grill. If you're new to grilling, it might take a few meals before "mastering" the ability to determine how done the steak is without cutting it (don't do this until you're ready to eat, as you then let out all the juices you created by searing the steak to begin with [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ).

Option #2 - still very basic. This time, before putting the steaks on the grill (already seasoned as above), I start sauting some onions and mushrooms. Personally, since I'm not a big mushroom fan, I prefer the canned mushrooms. While you can use a good extra virgin olive oil for this as well, I prefer to use real butter. I'll either sautee with just pepper or I might add some crushed garlic too. After getting this going, I'll go put the steaks on the grill. Having done this for years, it's not difficult to have this going in the kitchen and the steaks going outside on the grill. Usually it works out to be good timing, as when the steaks are done, so are the onions and mushrooms. Place steak on plate and top with onions and mushrooms.

Option #3 - if you like more seasoning on your steak, look into a Montreal steak seasoning. In addition to the salt and pepper, you get garlic and other seasoning (the most notable tasting one being garlic). Prepare same as #1. I've used this a few times and it's a nice change, but not my first choice. I usually save the Montreal seasoning for prime rib! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The cut is very important. I know the cuts are classified differently around the country, but it's worth the extra buck/pound for the better quality cut. As you can see from above, I'm not into marinating good quality meats, as they have great flavor to begin with. Save the marinate for your "tougher" meats.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:45 PM

i let them marinate in a mix of sauces, one being catalina dressing.....im sure the "guys" will think this is dumb...but try it!!! I know how to cook!

But then again...i also use a grill, to me its a waste of money not to grill them, but then again im very taste sensitive and rarely like meat either way.

Get a lil portable charcol grill!! its better than cooking them on the stove [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] We use these for tailgating!

And to whoever said u dont have to marinate if its good cut meat, i always have them cut mine and inspect it and usually get filet mignon, and i STILL marinate it, but thats ME, makes it taste 10 times better, when i go to put it on the grill i put (cant remember what its called) but its a seasoning for meats in a shaker - i sprinkle a lil on it, but not TOO MUCH!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:01 PM

When I don't want to go outside and grill, I do what some others have said. Preheat oven to 500. Cast iron skillet. Get it hot - put burner on highest setting. I usually rub the pan with oil when putting it away and just before cooking. When a little smoke starts coming off the pan is ready. Throw the steak in. I put Kosher or sea salt, pepper, and a little garlic on. Sear the steak 2 min on each side and then throw the whole pan in the 500 degree oven. I am still regulating how long I cook it in there and it depends on the thickness of the steak. The other night a mid thickness NY strip was just a little rare for me after 5 min, and I tossed it in another minute or so. Mistake. I should have let it just sit and it probably would have warmed up to a nice medium rare. Got too close to medium but it was still OK. Grilling is better, but the cast iron skillet is way better than a foreman grill which IMO gives you a funky tasting steak.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:42 PM

This thread is great, if only for the cast iron skillet / oven technique. I grilled this weekend with friends, but it's always a big hassle alone. Now I am going to have a nice steak tonight.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:44 PM

thanks for all the replies. i'm gonna try nothumb's soy sauce marinate for tonight since i don't have the stuff for any of the other ones. i'll definetly try some of those other ones next time i go to the store.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found that just a little olive oil, some salt and pepper, and a charcoal grill makes a pretty damn good steak. don't need to marinate it really, just brush, sprinkle, and grill...medium rare...mmmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. For best results, use sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:37 PM

You never marinate steak, dry rubs only.
Marinade is for lower quality meats like stewing meat.

Montreal Steak Spice is the perfect dry rub.

This is one of the ones I use, others calling themselves "Montreal" are not always good, but they are worth trying.

Searing in the juice, then grilling is the proper technique.

Using AAA Alberta beef always helps. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 02-16-2005, 05:48 PM

For tougher cuts (flank, skirt etc), I'm partial to lime juice.

Man, I wish I had a range hood. I'd be all over a ribeye tonight.