Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Anyone taking students?

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried to teach 5 people, all reasonably intellegent. 3 stuck with it for more than a couple months, only one makes money, and he still makes more doing other things.

I used to think this was something anybody with a brain could make money at, I was very wrong. If this is her idea and she came to you, great, help her out. If it's your idea, you will get the blame for all her wasted time and frustration.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its true, poker is really not that easy somehow. I always assume everyone that I teach will obviously pick up everything but its not the case by a longshot.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow...if it can be boiled down to that for a "substantial" profit...can I have a copy [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, count me in too please [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 AM

ok, honest advice here. Get her a copy of low limit holdem by lee jones or getting started in holdem by ed miller. miller is probably best but i havent read it. start her out at .02/.04 at stars. there is no rake, no pressure and if she cant beat it, she cant beat anything else either.

have her work on playing the correct hands in the correct position preflop, then work on playing the flop etc, as she works through the book. whithen a month if she's gonna get it she'll be doing well at these games and asking intellegent questions about certain situations. If she says things like i dont play 89s because i never get the flush, i changed tables couse i was unlucky there, i dont like to raise with AK couse usually i dont get anything, etc, give up. i'm really not joking either.

If all is going well, she can move up to .05/.10 limit (still no rake), then progress her way to .5/1 on party. playing well you can ave about 3 to 4 bb/100 hands at .5/1, playing a little over 200 hands an hour on 4 tables. so, with rake back about $8 to $11 an hour, 2x if she can 8 table, with very little varience.

If she makes it this far (and you should realize it's a big if) she can easily learn nl ring or stt's to branch out, or progress in limit.

the reason to focus on limit first is everything she needs is easily availible in good books, so other than some help spotting her leaks and answering questions she can easily teach herself if she is motivated.

Hope that helps. The reason I have tried to teach people before is to give them an easier life. I understand where your coming from and I hope it works out, it just doesnt usually.

Steve
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I will personally guarantee, BTW, that a good version of this system can have a 20%+ ROI at the 10's playing as many games as she can physically handle.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played a $11 in about 3,000 SNGs but I'de be shocked if its anywhere close to 20%

Most people that are good at poker don't realize that they are naturals with a special knack. Although they study the game a lot they are able to more easily absorb and apply the concepts that they learn than most people would.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 AM

20% are virtually guaranteed IF

a) you are willing to learn (reading a lot of hand examples) and

b) you slavishly follow the system and deviate only where you are very sure that you know what and why you are doing it.

Variance is a beast though and 300 $ are NOT enough for a beginner. You should at least be willing to invest 500 - 1000. I'd say, only after you burnt through $1000 bucks at the 11+1s you can somewhat safely say that there is a good chance that SnGs are not for you.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I will personally guarantee, BTW, that a good version of this system can have a 20%+ ROI at the 10's playing as many games as she can physically handle.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played a $11 in about 3,000 SNGs but I'de be shocked if its anywhere close to 20%

Most people that are good at poker don't realize that they are naturals with a special knack. Although they study the game a lot they are able to more easily absorb and apply the concepts that they learn than most people would.

[/ QUOTE ]

What NewtBuggs said....its a lot harder than everyone thinks, I know this because of all the people who seem like they are capable players to me but still inexplicably can't seem to win. And these peopel have at least some talent for the game, which a beginner may or may not have.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM

I would give a similar advice only a little bit different (from my own experience - I helped two of my friends from scratch).
Start on PS 0.02/0.04 with $10 BR. At 15-20 she can mix in some 0.05/0.10. No rake, you can build your bankroll VERY fast. Then I found out that a student should try some 1 + 0.20 SNGs. 45 players start, rake is 20% BUT the opponents are a joke and you can try SNG basics for cheap. Then come, of course 5+0.5 SNGs, which are very easy. Both of my friends I helped are currently playing them (they started few weeks ago the way I described) and I have no doubt the way they're playing they will soon move up.