Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: $109s - AT Hand

[ QUOTE ]
That is completely wrong. What if bb has KT-JT, do you not consider that way ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not up against just one opponent, you're up against two. One has made a pot sized bet, the other has called it. No offense but I think that it's kind of ridiculous to say that I am "completely wrong". Between the two of them, it's likely that one has a good draw, the other has a made hand. You MAY be currently ahead of the made hand, you may not be. There are also a gazillion cards that might hurt you on the turn, but only 5 cards that will strengthen your hand.

To hope that the best hand that is out there is KT-JT and then to get sucked into this hand further seems like wishful thinking to me.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
depend on who the limper is. If he's a psyco or really tight, I like being in that pot. The psyco will hand over his stack if you catch, and the tight guy will fold if he doesnt hit his set. But, if your up against a very predictable player, you may as well raise to isolate him. Doesnt take much, if you raise to 45 here, you take the lead in the hand, ussualy drive out the blinds and sometimes take it down preflop.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to call BS on Lacky here. There's no way you play AT from up front against an UTG limper at a full no limit table... even if he is really psycho or tight. This is an easy muck for you in a ring game, a SNG, a multi, or a live tourney.

You are just trying to slow down Unarmed's learning curve so you can win the STTF-HUC II in February.

Irieguy
Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bah. You old guys are weak/tight. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If I'm up against AQ/AJ thats fine, I have position on UTG and can chuck the AT if he gives action on an ace high flop. Is AJo a fold here as well? I hope not...

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure ain't a limp.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I chuck this here (might be worth a button limp against a known idiot). AJ would be marginal but probably not worth it if you > 2 table. It doesn't matter enough to have a 40 post debate over it, though.

On the flop, UTG has nothing worth mentioning so I'm either seeing a turn or raising now. I guess my default would be to raise but I'm not super happy about it.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd give this one up. This seems like a classic situation where you're either a bit ahead or way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely wrong. What if bb has KT-JT, do you not consider that way ahead. WA/WB is something like KK on an AAXr board, where your opponent has 2 outs, or you have 2 outs.

In this hand, I would raise and think that I am ahead. I doubt bb potted with 2pr or a set, and I am sure he would raise JJ-AA pf. I think your hand is too vurnerable to wait until the turn and I think a raise here would pick up the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the BB is the primary worry here, but he easily could be. I commonly bet out two pair here on a somewhat draw-heavy board here, although that is at $215. There are players tricky enough do do the same here, and while I agree a raise could be good here, what if you get reraised allin? I suppose you could say it's an easy dump, but as far as I'm concerned, after I brutalized the PF, i'd slink away and not get involved in a huge pot that I likely need to catch in or dodge a lot of outs to win.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:53 PM

So I raise here or fold here, but limping is no good.
Ok, that makes sense. I'm just into seeing flops with whatever on level 1 because it costs next to nothing and the play is so terrible. However, a multiway flop isn't exactly fun times for AT, as this hand so nicely illustrates.

Flop Action:

I raised to pot. (too little?) If I was closing the action, I'd prefer to call and keep the pot small. Also, I'd really like to peel off the turn before I commmit a large chunk of my stack with TPTK. But in this exact spot, I hate calling because then the other two to act behind me are getting 23523422-1 odds to come along for the ride. I certainly considered folding, and would have two weeks ago. However, this is new and improved aggro-Unarmed and I don't make these laydowns on level 1 anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

More Flop Action:

CO calls the 225, BB goes all-in, and UTG folds. Oops. Easy fold? What if CO had folded to the 225 and BB pushed?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that the BB is the primary worry here, but he easily could be. I commonly bet out two pair here on a somewhat draw-heavy board here, although that is at $215. There are players tricky enough do do the same here, and while I agree a raise could be good here, what if you get reraised allin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at *just* the flop, UTG is not our primary worry here - not at all - because if he had AA-JJ, if he didn't pop PF he would certainly pop this flop. If he's got 98 or a flush draw, we will be able to tell, because he'll overcall our raise one more time and we can chase him out on the turn, but odds are this is something like 99 or T9/some other weirdness and you are good right now almost all the time.

BB is the primary worry, because you'll find loads of people playing any ten, 75, 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], etc. this way. Additionally, a raise is not a great way to put him on a hand because there's no telling whether he will push or call with any of that range. In that spot, I think I like a raise/fold best, but like I said I'm not thrilled about it, and I think you can make a case for calling and pushing/raising on a safe turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I raise here or fold here, but limping is no good.
Ok, that makes sense. I'm just into seeing flops with whatever on level 1 because it costs next to nothing and the play is so terrible. However, a multiway flop isn't exactly fun times for AT, as this hand so nicely illustrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If you want to limp more hands play some 86s or whatever rather then A10o.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a raise/fold best, but like I said I'm not thrilled about it, and I think you can make a case for calling and pushing/raising on a safe turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this was the big decision for me in the hand. (see previous post) If I'm closing the action, I like a call. With two to act behind me? Hmmmm...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:39 PM

actually I'm just so busy trying to fix my damn air conditioner before I fly out again tomarrow I didn't read the OP very closely. Yeah, MP1 is pretty early to try and isolate and control the table, MP3 or preferably later makes much more sense. See how much easier it is to just keep my mouth shut!

Steve