Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Push with nines?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you have position, why not use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Effective stacks are small, and the position doesn't do me much good. By smooth calling (as BluffThis suggested) I can make the decision to call or not call on the turn.

I did ponder this option at the time, but stack sizes make it a poor idea. It becomes problematic because there are number of turn cards that could cause me to lose my nerve. Particularly terrible cards are 7 and Ace, both of which may secure a pass when I still have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may not like those cards either. Allowing you to take the pot with the worst hand. this is plo. almost everycard is a scare card. use your position. if a scare cards comes and he bets. easy to muck. this isnt close. IMO
Old 09-13-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He may not like those cards either. Allowing you to take the pot with the worst hand. this is plo. almost everycard is a scare card. use your position. if a scare cards comes and he bets. easy to muck. this isnt close. IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree. Here, being in position is unfavorable. Very few opponents will do anything but shove the rest of their stack in. He has reverse position and enough for one strong pot size bet, he has all the inertia.

In your games do players often lead into a preflop raiser and then check/fold on the next card with 30-40% of their stack in the pot?

As I stated in an earlier post, my position only allows me to take another card and decide whether or not to call the next bet.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree. Here, being in position is unfavorable. Very few opponents will do anything but shove the rest of their stack in. He has reverse position and enough for one strong pot size bet, he has all the inertia.

In your games do players often lead into a preflop raiser and then check/fold on the next card with 30-40% of their stack in the pot?

As I stated in an earlier post, my position only allows me to take another card and decide whether or not to call the next bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just play the plo 2000 on party. I see people put in a decent part of their stack and fold to scare cards all the time. People definitley have a different mentality at those limits than at lower limits so some advice which is good for some games is not as good for other games. But, I still think a call is easily the best play, and its not close. and your argument sucks. are you saying if i have a stack of 10,000, 3000 goes in on the flop, and i am married to the hand. that is asinine. And if you are you married to hands when 30% of your stack is in the middle you will be a sure loser. How much of your stack is in the middle should have no bearing on your future actions.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:45 PM

I still think he has AA.

I should elaborate though.

The key is his stack size. He starts this hand w/ about 40bb. Since this is your first hand at the table, you don't know if he is stuck or if he bought in short. This info would tell you more about his intentions. He may have a ragged AAxx hand. He limped then calls out of position and short stacked. He's hoping for a non-threatening flop to get it all in on. He may think you are aggressive from prior experience with you, he may think you are on a steal pre-flop, he may figure you for the other two aces and thinks he is freerolling. He may even have the nut low draw!!! J/K I don't think this flop helped him, I just think he thinks he's tied or ahead. I think by betting he will look like he is stealing and he fully expects you to set him in. I am sure he expects the SB to fold as well (I would from your position as well).

A set is unlikely, but in PLO anything is possible. I doubt he'd play a set that fast though, especially with his stack.

As far as what to do? It depends on your buzz. If you wanna gamble, then set him in. I don't see you having any real equity edge though.

PG
Old 09-10-2005, 07:22 PM

The foe actually had bought in for 50BB nearly, if you add them up. This is far from short on most tables.

I don't see how anyone short of God can put someone on AA when he didn't make a move preflop and bets a flop that misses AA. If that's the case I must have AA nearly every hand.

In the end, if I pass Aces hand, its also because I'm happy to pass AA in that spot too.

gl

Dave
Old 09-10-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The foe actually had bought in for 50BB nearly, if you add them up. This is far from short on most tables.

I don't see how anyone short of God can put someone on AA when he didn't make a move preflop and bets a flop that misses AA. If that's the case I must have AA nearly every hand.

In the end, if I pass Aces hand, its also because I'm happy to pass AA in that spot too.

gl

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key to the point I'm trying to get across. There are many players who would happily shove all their chips in with AAxx here, but would happily fold a weaker, albeit better EV-wise hand.

As far as whether he had AAxx, PG, that seems so specific of a read that I'm not sure if you're joking or not. I initially assumed you were, now I don't.

I can say with some certainty I've never seen anyone play AA that way.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Is it that unreasonable to think he may be the weak-tight type of player who is playing above of his bankroll, yet still overvalues AA in PLO like holdem players often do?

Limping aces in EP isn't horrible if concealing the strength of your hand is your goal.

I rarely play 2-4 or higher, but at the 2-2 games on PR and the 1-2 games on party and stars I have seen this type of behavior occasionally.

Maybe AA is a bit overspecified. This seems like an odd spot to bluff, unless he puts you on a complete steal preflop. I should have said I think he has a hand that he thinks is clearly the best hand. The other overpair possibilities are less likely... if he thinks you have AA he surely won't lead out with them.

Don't keep us in suspense... what did you do?