Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: 10/20 troubles

It's a good idea to keep your 'playing' roll and your 'living expenses' backup roll seperate.

b
Old 12-21-2004, 07:05 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Look again at your post. Maybe a few months from now, you'll see what im trying to tell you. Ill try to explain again.

[ QUOTE ]
dont treat me like a fish

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said you were a fish. I said your mindset isn't ready for a higher limit yet. At least not to move up fully.

[ QUOTE ]
NO, its not a problem that there are fish, the problem is that they are there and I can't beat them. So what is different?

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell me. You're the one who brought it up. What factor is the difference if not the players? The difference, once again, is how this limit is affecting you mentally. You've only been there 13 hours. Think back, haven't you lost for 13+ hours before at your main limit? Of course you have if you've played for any significant amount of time. Everyone does at some point no matter how good they are. So that's the same, the players you've played against are somewhat similar. What is it then?

[ QUOTE ]
Similarly if you say that 13 hours is hardly enough to determine anything, then I suppose you cant draw a conclusion of whether or not I can beat the 15/30 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you brought it up as a factor in your success at beating the game. You know better than to base it off of 13 hours. You're better than to use this.

Take shots at the higher limit, but I wouldn't move up altogether yet. Nor would I jump to an even higher limit and bypass a limit with gravy players on it. Why would you do that? You're not thinking clearly here, imo. One beauty of online is that you can ease into a limit much easier through multi tabling.

Yes, it is also common to feel this way when moving up. The monetary size of losses, even if they are the same bet/unit-wise as your normal limit, can affect your mentality of the game.

An idea: When moving up, figure you will lose at first. If anything, because you have to adjust for the higher limit. Not just playwise, since play may be the same, but any initial hit to your roll is much bigger. It can have a magnifying affect. This can have a mental affect as you may see all the time you put in to build your roll that far as wasted. Or that you're wasting it on this limit and really don't like the thought of having to go back and regrind it back up again. It's a common mental hurdle to get over when moving up.

Im also thinking this jump is a little wider gap than you may have done before. You're doubling the limit. Im guessing before 5-10 you played 3-6 or 4-8. It's also easier to transition when the gap isn't as big.

Anyways, If i thought you were really a fish, or had no hope, i wouldn't have typed as much as I just did here.

Hope this helps explain a little more where I was coming from.

b
Old 12-21-2004, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that 300 BB is the bare minimum needed for any limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not. 300 BB is the typical amount that a 1BB/hr needs to survive fluctuations. It is not the bare minimum. Someone who is crushing a game for 2.5BB/hr (or whatever the online equivalent would be) could probably get by with less and someone who has an unusually low variance could get by with less. Similarly, someone who is only barely a winning a player or someone who plays in very wild games against unpredictable games would likely need more.

I tend to have a very low variance and have never went on a downswing of 300 BB or more. That isn't proof of anything of course, as I could just have been lucky so far. It sounds like a lot of people here play primarily online. The online opponents tend to be better and more aggressive and the lack of reads mean that you are forced to call down in spots where you wouldn't have to in a live game. So it's possible that everyone playing online needs a bankroll of at least 300 BB's. But I don't agree with the general statement that this the bare minimum that is ever needed for any limit. It is better to think of as the typical, standard number that should be adjusted down or (more likely) up as circumstances require.