Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: WHAT THE F*** explain this one..????????

ok, not so much careful specific interpretation, but rather careful consideration before randomly attempting to apply similar moves.

Consideration that might include math, player image, potential opponent tendencies, tournament level, ect...

One way or the other, it's nice to see the range of plays Giga is willing to make.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:49 AM

I think Gigabet here (maybe?) is risking 310 chips to never have his blind stolen again.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Gigabet here (maybe?) is risking 310 chips to never have his blind stolen again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Yeah I don't claim to understand the weird things that go on, in higher level SNGs but I think they key here is the short stack. This is an ideal spot for Giga to risk almost nothing to, in the future, make a great play (that will hopefully lead to a 1st) with his image.

-LDT
Old 06-10-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't risking 310 chips.

Besides, most who he plays against are people who have seen him before. A play like this isn't going to make them totally change their game.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 AM

alright, i don't have much to add to this thread except:

goddamn tolumax, do you EVER raise kk or aa?! i mean, i see this post less than 10 hours after sitting there at the table and having to listen to NUTZREALBIG berate him for always limping aces up front. this just simply can't be optimal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i'm sure he limps other stuff too, i honestly haven't played that many hands with him, but egads.

citanul
Old 06-10-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alright, i don't have much to add to this thread except:

goddamn tolumax, do you EVER raise kk or aa?! i mean, i see this post less than 10 hours after sitting there at the table and having to listen to NUTZREALBIG berate him for always limping aces up front. this just simply can't be optimal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i'm sure he limps other stuff too, i honestly haven't played that many hands with him, but egads.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

If the other players are on autopilot and routinely pushes on limps in level 4+, surely it must be +EV.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Man I wish I was playing in these games so I could limp behind with 55 in the CO.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the other players are on autopilot and routinely pushes on limps in level 4+, surely it must be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

if only my life were such that i could just go jumping into $1k buyin games and going on "autopilot" knowing that it's likely a losing proposition.

citanul
Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 AM

I'm not totally sure I like/understand this move either. I can though see the point about it possibly giving him some walks on his blinds later on. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned which may be relevant though: in terms of CEV it's marginal, but maybe for him the $EV is much greater. Assuming limpers fold, if he loses to the short stack he is still healthy with T1725. If he wins he is up to T2545, now more comfortably chip leader going into level 5. He may feel this small chip difference represents a big equity difference due to an increased ability to bully and steal.

Yesterday for instance I won one hand which moved me into a very small chip lead. This allowed me to push on the 2nd stacks BB in the following hand (we were on the bubble with one very short stack), and from there I was in a position from which I was able to allin-steal my way up to 8500 chips. Sure this was in a $50+5 and is a much more extreme situation, but it just demonstrates how sometimes a small chip difference can be worth a huge amount to your actual tournament equity.

I don't know if this was part of his thinking - just throwing it out there.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:01 AM

Given the stacksize of UTG and his style, his limp pretty much makes me give up the hand. Against a known big hand EP limper there is a big chance he is looking for a showdown, and i'm not doubling him up with a gay waiter!