Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: $1k SNG Hand - Opinions?

I initially thought 'push' also. But in a bubble situation like this, I like the "stop and go" for the following reasons: If an A,K,Q flops, you can get out with 1685 and still not be the short stack, making a money finish still likely. If a J flops, you've got position for the trap. If villain checks, a non-threatening flop you can push and put him to a decision.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:21 AM

To beginners, this one looks easy.

First thought is: If I push in and get called, I'm either a slight favorite facing two overs, or a big dog to a bigger pair. And if I push in and lose, I lose a bunch of money.

Hmm. Since he probably has big cards it's less likely that another one will Flop. So I will call PF. If Flop has nothing > J, THEN push in. Otherwise, check/fold.

If there's something stupid in that thinking, please let me know.

Now I'm going to read all the analyses for pushing in PF and see if they can change my mind. But obviously, I don't see the problem.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 AM

Ok, I think there is some serious problems with people thinking the stop and go is correct here. And I think part of it is that people think it is such a "nifty" move, that they are overusing it possibly.

Here is why I think the thinking of using a stop and go is incorrect:

1. The preflop raiser has opened up significantly, but can also lay down hands.
2. I have a very tight image.
3. If I were truly doing a stop and go, I would not look at the flop, and push with any flop. And there is a possibility with 2500 chips now in the pot, and only 1500 to call, that the villian might call with two overcards, or a medium pair.
4. I think it is fair to say that 75%+ of the time, the villian folds here. Of the remaining 25% of the time I'm ahead atleast 60% of the time.

There are more, but I ran out of time, and have to get back to work. The stop and go is rarely the correct answer here

Nick
Old 12-20-2004, 12:35 PM

I think you did it right. I don't think you want to play the JJ. You just want the pot taken down. Against the grand majority of hands that Fanning is willing to raise in this position, that's exactly what you're going to do. The fact that you ran into AK which he was willing to risk doubling you up with, that's bad luck. But even then you were a favorite in the hand. Noone wants to go out in a race, but at least you got your money in first and made him make the decision.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 PM

Push or fold. It is a coinflip.

If you fold and the shortstack does not get a hand then he will be blinded out in twenty hands. I think that too long to wait. Moreover, he might find himself with a hand and then you are shortstacked. (Of course, he could get busted out but if he his playing correctly then that is not all that likely unless he too is faced with a coinflip.) Pushing is good because JJ is a big hand with only four and steals can be coming from any position so why worry about the openraise. So I would push.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:22 PM

Easy allin. When the shortstack has only marginally fewer chips than you, you shouldn't be thinking so much about outlasting them, especially when you have a monster hand.
Even if the shortstack had 5 chips left I'd still push here, as first and second place prizes are well within reach, and your hand is too strong to grovel for the chance at 3rd place and an extra 1000 bucks.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM

My bad, forgive me, I didn't realize Pokerstars had $1000 sit and go's now. They didn't have them a few days ago? I thought you were talking about PartyPoker and were folding JJ to win 3600 instead of 2400!!!
Despite that I'd still move allin here with JJ, and I don't think its close. Although please ignore my comments about if the guy has 5 chips left [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 04:31 PM

Though I am an advocate of the stop and go, I think your folding equity preflop is too great anyway. After all you have around half his stack. It depends how loose you reckon he is, will he "press the button" even though it hurts both of you, so to speak? If so then stop and go, but with most opponents the push is the right move.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:20 PM

other players you might stop n' go, but against Fanning you auto-push. He's probably got something like 84o.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:03 PM

Push. No question. You're not far enough ahead of the smaller stack to be folding JJ 4-handed.