Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Law School

[ QUOTE ]
The main difference in going to an Ivy League school is when you get you have like 200,000 dollars of debt vs. under 100,000. Then you take your Havard JD and get an interview with a big defense firm or company and sitting next you is a guy who graduated in the top 10% from (Enter cheaper regional Public Law School)and you both have equal oppurtunity to get the job. But since he had to work his way through school and therfore interviews better gets the job over the snobby Ivy League guy who was a member of the crew team and never worked a day in his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat wrong. It couldn't be more wrong. Sickeningly wrong in the wrongest way that something could be wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

Law is about prestige. Firms will take the Yalie over the plucky 3rd Tier school graduate every time. Hell, the partners probably have more in common with the Yale guy anyways. If I had a firm, I'd hire the T3 guy, but I don't make the rules, I just play the game.

The main difference is that out of a highly ranked school you can get a job. Out of a lower-ranked school you'll end up either at McDonalds or doing insurance defense for $50k / year if you are lucky.

Again, I know people out of lower-ranked schools that are waiting tables and whatever else all while mired in debt.

Also, as far as debt, my debt load is going to be under $50k, and I'm at UVA for what it's worth.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The main difference in going to an Ivy League school is when you get you have like 200,000 dollars of debt vs. under 100,000. Then you take your Havard JD and get an interview with a big defense firm or company and sitting next you is a guy who graduated in the top 10% from (Enter cheaper regional Public Law School)and you both have equal oppurtunity to get the job. But since he had to work his way through school and therfore interviews better gets the job over the snobby Ivy League guy who was a member of the crew team and never worked a day in his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat wrong. It couldn't be more wrong. Sickeningly wrong in the wrongest way that something could be wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

Law is about prestige. Firms will take the Yalie over the plucky 3rd Tier school graduate every time. Hell, the partners probably have more in common with the Yale guy anyways. If I had a firm, I'd hire the T3 guy, but I don't make the rules, I just play the game.

The main difference is that out of a highly ranked school you can get a job. Out of a lower-ranked school you'll end up either at McDonalds or doing insurance defense for $50k / year if you are lucky.

Again, I know people out of lower-ranked schools that are waiting tables and whatever else all while mired in debt.

Also, as far as debt, my debt load is going to be under $50k, and I'm at UVA for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your experience is just alot different than mine. I happen to know for a fact that what I said is true of ALOT (maybe not all) of firms.

Just an example I currently have a friend who graduated from University of Houston Law in the top 10%. He applied for a entry-level associate position at one of the largest, if not the largest firm in Houston, Fullbright & Jaworski. This is a huge pregious firm with office all over the world as far as Hong Kong. The starting salary for their associates is close to 150. He got an interview. My statement is based on what he told me as well as my personal experiences with a medium-large firm over the past three years.

A senior partner told me that big firms will interview canidates from all the law schools, the difference is they will interview someone in the top 30% from Yale and only someone from the top 10% from UH.

The friend I told you about got the job and so did another girl who just graduated from Harvard. They make the same, they have the same advance potiental but he has remarkably less debt.

Education is what you make of it.

Oh another reason I said this is becuase my uncle just retired from Ansheur Busch were he was the head of their in-house legal division in which was one person below the CLO. Yeah he got his JD and his LM from UM Kansas City. the guys from Yale worked for him.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you can try to get in an ivy school. heard they are easy,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true at all
Old 11-18-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you can try to get in an ivy school. heard they are easy,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true at all

[/ QUOTE ]

He meant that they are easy to pass classes in once you are admitted.

This is very true.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense intended to anyone, but there is definitely no shortage of lawyers in the US, more like a surplus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. We have a winner.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:50 AM

There was a thread on this awhile ago, but I couldn't find it.

I just graduated from a Top 20 law school. I spent $120,000 and three years of my life and I can COMPLETELY guarantee you that it was not worth it.

I think law school (especially the good ones) is a good choice for exactly one kind of person: a snobby [censored] whose idea of a cool job is to lick some partner's ass in a big law firm while making serious bank.

I am honestly considering writing a book on this exact topic in the next few months.

Also, before people accuse me of being crushed by the system or something similar, I was on moot court, ublished an article and proscribed a legal theory in a state court that became international legal news. I could have done ALL of it with about half the time in school and about 1/10th the cost.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on moot court, ublished an article and proscribed a legal theory in a state court that became international legal news.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're a snob
Old 11-18-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was on moot court, ublished an article and proscribed a legal theory in a state court that became international legal news.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're a snob

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, or perhaps a brilliant luminary whose shining and extraordinary brilliance can't be confined by the American educational system.

What do you recommend for us commoners who are interested in law?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 AM

I love it when I see people with 3300+ posts that take the time to post [censored] like this. Pathetic.

Do us all a favor. Add some content that people may want to see instead of just wasting space. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 AM

I can tell you right if you live in Texas it is a terrible time to go to Law School if you want to practice in Texas. All the tort reform is putting established attorneys out of work much less the 100,000 or more 3Ls graduating from Texas Law schools this next year. Not to mention that probably 90% of them think they will go in "Corporate Law" but 80% of them will end up working in Toxic Tort or sueing Nursing Homes. Not very exciting.

I planned on going but decided not to go after I worked in a Defense firm for 3 years of my undergrad. Young lawyers are assholes and Old lawyers are primadonna assholes.

It is a negative life in my opinion.