Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Maybe The Play wasn\'t all THAT BAD?

Phil busted out later - this is not the hand that busted out Phil. There is a post that mentions he later busted out in 41st and was dropping F-Bombs left and right.

What do you hope to see from Phill when you raise with AJ - a FOLD.

In some of his own columns Phill has admitted to making a move like this with Rags.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth Erupts (WPT Coverage)

I'm not suggesting that the AJ move was necessarily NOT bad, but he didn't call, he went over the top of Phil's raise. Now if Phil had been bullying the table with a lot of raises, coupled with the overbet from Phil which looks like he doesn't want a call, the guy might have been taking a stand.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil had shown down bluffs prior to this hand just to induce this type of thinking for when he did have the goods (he has talked about this type of play many times before). So he basically would have gotten just what he was looking for -- sans the suck-out. Don't know of course, but a good possibility.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:19 AM

That is such bs. I've seen hundreds/thousands of similar suck-outs in live tournaments and I am proud to report that most people are good sports about it. I have rarely seen a person curse and rant when losing a suck-out. I haven't been in any $15k tournaments, but plenty of significant ones.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 AM

It's good to see that Phil will actually race with something. We know he lays down QQ here.

Knowing Hellmuth, you know you only get called by KK or AA. So with AJ, you hold a A so AA even less likely and you are ~30% vs KK. 30% + Fold Equity of TT-QQ/AK/AQ = XX%. This is pretty perverse and I would agree that it was a bad play but could this have been his thinking? 'Phil won't race with QQ or AK so let's push him off those.'
Old 12-17-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Maybe The Play wasn\'t all THAT BAD?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Phil busted out later - this is not the hand that busted out Phil. There is a post that mentions he later busted out in 41st and was dropping F-Bombs left and right.

What do you hope to see from Phill when you raise with AJ - a FOLD.

In some of his own columns Phill has admitted to making a move like this with Rags.

[/ QUOTE ]

huge raise = not likely to be rags, hahaha..

the guy could not even double hellmuth's bet, but somehow he is praying for a fold? he should have known he would get called.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:51 AM

even though hellmuth hates to race he will make alot of plays with rags hoping not to get called
not knowing how the other guy plays is quite possible phil made a few plays on him which prompted the call
Old 12-17-2004, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that hiatt guy played badly. But, hellmuth wanted a call by a worse hand so what the fuc k is he complaining about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt he did want a call.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:13 PM

Maybe the rants are so he can make sure to get plenty of tv time for his sponsors?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:18 PM

41st to 50th was paying just short of 22K
Old 12-17-2004, 04:33 PM

Of course he doesn't *want* a call, but there was 9k in blinds, his 15k first raise, and then phil's 80k re-raise for 104k in the pot, not counting antes.

Hiatt calls the 80k (184k) then raises all-in for 76k more (260k). Phil at that point needs to put in 76k, which means he's getting 3.5:1 (well, just a little less) on the call.

Hiatt *knows* this (or at least, he SHOULD), and knows that there is basically no hand that Phil would fold here given those pot odds.

So he doesn't want a call, but he has to know it's going to happen. It seems to me that if you don't want a call but know you're going to get one, you save that 156k and let it go because you've invested so little in the pot at that point.

Now, all that aside, we have NO idea about the play at the table leading up to this hand. Maybe Phil had been stealing, maybe people had laid down to playback, who knows? There certainly could have been factors we don't know about that change things.

From just the original report, it's a bad push.