Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Playing poker for a living (my experience so far) HELP!

Good advice. My problem is that I just discovered how easy it is to get online and play. Before when I played live, I would have to get dressed, make time and drive there.

Now I can be playing within minutes of getting to my computer anytime I want. I try to do other things, like read (about poker) play video games, go out, etc.

But everytime I get back home, I have to fight the urge not to play if I had a winning day.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:41 AM

Do you play all the time? If you love the game, how do you keep yourself from playing?

Does winning and losing every day take its toll on you? Can I ask how long you have been playing?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thought I give you all my experiences of playing poker every day at pp for that last 4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if my job was to bang hot girls, i'd get sick of it if i had to do it every day.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 AM

Yes, I try to do the same. I'm just kind of depressed that I may be doing this for the next few years.

But its so easy to play. I guess I'm not use to it yet. I should be. But I'm still learning not only about the game, but also about the lifestyle required to play full time.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thought I give you all my experiences of playing poker every day at pp for that last 4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if my job was to bang hot girls, i'd get sick of it if i had to do it every day.

[/ QUOTE ]
STFU
Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet you'd have some sick days left over at the end of the year though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 05:21 AM

I think it would help to lay down some rules of professional conduct to yourself. Something like:

1) Play perhaps 20 hours a week (4 day week, two 2.5 hour sessions per day). This will stop you burning out.

2) Just become a simple 30/60 grinder. It sounds like the higher limits are stressing you out. Only doing the grind for 20 hours a week makes your life a million times better than most people in the world. Also, you will be more relaxed, and playing your "A" game most of the time.

3) To stop yourself getting entirely bored of poker, if you want to do "overtime", do something different. Enter a tournament, Learn PLO, or take a 1-table shot at the higher stakes.

Try and balance the weekly grind with keeping yourself fresh.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing for a living.

If i'm tired from playing - i'm simply quit playing. Meeting friends, find new chick, make some business not concerned with poker, crushing some loose-aggressives in "Doom" etc..

If you playing 30/60 - it's easy to be lazy ass logging 100 hours in a month (as i do last 3 months) and having 30K for a fun living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, your post reminded me of bang bang bang. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Tks mate!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could stare at and play with the female anatamoy a hell of a lot longer than I could stare at a computerized poker table while playing with a stack of 11.5 clay chips.

All day in and out baayybee, All day in and out...just be knock'em back like bottles of beer.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-EV.