Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Taj Comments

Have they fixed the playing cards at the Taj? Last time I was there they were all warped, and I found that unacceptable.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:02 AM

20-40 and 40-80 sometimes have longer lists. To compare, I went to the Taj at noonish and put my name on the 10/20 on Sat. afternoon. I was sixth, and the line didn't seem like it was moving. I left to the Borgata and got seated immediately. This is unusual. I don't know why Borgata didn't have more traffic. Of course, YMMV.

You are going to play where you feel comfortable. I would call ahead to Borgata before you assume it is packed if you want to play there.

I took a look at the one of the 3 10-20 tables at the Taj and it looked like a table full of experienced players or rocks (one player under 50). I didn't think it would be profitable, so I left.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the floor at the Taj has a tendency to let the regulars get away with way too much, although I could see someone who played there regularly feeling like they did a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Cause Borg doesn't give its regulars special treatment in the high limit room? Taj is better at starting games and managing the list in my experience (as in, the next person gets the seat).

Also, I go like twice a month...don't think that makes me a regular. And I do play at Borg also...but never on a Saturday night.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

At the Borgata I've seen regulars get away with stuff on wait lists.

At the Taj, I've seen regulars get away with stuff involving money.

scrub
Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

At the Borgata I've seen regulars get away with stuff on wait lists.

At the Taj, I've seen regulars get away with stuff involving money.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate Scrub, without giving specifics is OK.. I'm just looking for generalizations. After recently playing at the Taj again I was surprised at how soft the games were compared to the Borg (soft, but not as juicy). Environment, hotel accommodations, and a stern reply from sample size man aside, I preferred the Taj games that I experienced.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:01 AM

thank you. that was what i needed. i will be playing 1-2 no limit. i havent really mastered limit yet......i havent really mastered nl either..but i feel more comfortable playing it. is anyone going to be at the taj on 4-23-05. also how is the club at the taj? since i will be thier for my bachelor party.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 AM

I've never been to the club at Taj though I've seen hot women walking in and out of it. Overall though...if you're looking for the club/bar scene, go to Borgata...it's MUCH better on that front in my experience.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 09:09 AM

The cards aren't what they used to be, but they seem better than they used to be. I didn't notice any problems the last few times I've been there.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 AM

I've found floor decisions to be fair and consistent at Taj (though I'm not there every weekend). At Borgata, I haven't seen enough floor decisions to comments, but it seems fine.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM

Many of the older players you'd think would be rocks...aren't. It's kinda surprising, but some of the worst players there are older players (though I haven't played 10-20 in awhile there so your mileage may vary).

Jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 02:25 PM

The biggest thing I remember is seemingly constant angles from weird persian jewelers and stuff about what motions constituted a bet or a raise, and the worst decisions I saw were on the grave shift with floorpeople who clearly knew a few of the worst offenders socially.

The one that finally made me decide it wasn't worth it to play there until they put a lot of money into the place and changed the management or I was playing bigger than 80/160 went something like this:

I'm in position with the nut flush draw and top pair. Crazy aggressive persian guy on tilt has been jamming back and forth with me. I river the nut flush, we are heads up.

He makes a huge betting motion and puts a stack of chips out well into the middle of the table with an overhand grip, bangs the table with the chips and starts cutting out a bet.

A younger and more excitable me says "I raise" and starts to stack chips. The persian guy quickly readjusts his stack of chips and claims he checked and now he's folding.

Floor who was chatting with the guys during the last fill about something they did together comes over--dealer doesn't speak English well enough to explain anything, players at the table who are not one of the persian jeweler guys back me up, dealer seems to be agreeing with my side of things to the extent anyone can tell. Floor rules it a check and when I ask him to explain why in an extremely civil tone he starts yelling at me about how he is the ultimate authority and if he says it's a check it's a check and I should shut up. He then walks away.

I racked up, spoke to the shift manager, checked out of my room and drove over to the Borgata.

Given the great poker rate at the Borgata and the game quality and selection through 40/80, I haven't seen any reason to go back until/unless I start playing bigger than 40/80 (and based on the trend the last time I was there, maybe 80/160) on a regular basis. The wait lists aren't a problem for me because I don't mind calling ahead from my hotel room to get on lists and the games I play rarely get lists that take longer than a shower and a snack during the times I prefer to start playing.

scrub