Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Some questions to Alex Re: My poker progression

[ QUOTE ]
1. Blind defense: I know you need to defend blind more as game gets tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's right.

Also, to add one more wrong thing OP stated, it's not "proper semi-bluffing" if you fire on the river, since it's not a semi-bluff anymore.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: My poker progression

I have 100k hand sample, and there is still a +/- 1ish in my bb/100 with 95% confidence. When i checked at 65k it was like 1.2
Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 PM

Also, my STDEV has to be lower than yours, so you can be even less confident.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Some questions to Alex Re: My poker progression

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Alex, thanks for your post. I too have played for a year but I don't have anything near your result . I am currently playing 5/10 and struggling with TAG games.
Here is my question to your post:

[/ QUOTE ]

You should quickly realize most things I tried to explain (and have failed actually, re-reading what I wrote amuses me a little since most of it would only make sense with in-depth explanations attached), are for 30/60 games where people start check-raising with nothing and making tricky plays.

Last I remember playing 5/10, it was ABC poker for most part.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Blind defense: I know you need to defend blind more as game gets tighter. But if you have several people already in the pot, it's not really a blind defense case, right? In my past experience I find calling a raise with suited hands in BB with less than 3 opponents in a losing play. Is it because I don't play aggressive post-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing loose pre-flop always requires very good play on the flop and thereafter.

When you first started out, you played prolly 15/11. I feel that as you learn to be a better player, you realize you can play a lot more hands and still extract positive values from not-so-great hands.

By blind defense, I simply mean playing the blinds. I don't mean exactly when someone is stealing them, no. I just mean people should re-consider the way they play their blinds.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Proper semi-bluffing, I don't understand why you suggest 3-bet turn if check-raised. I think the opponent will alway call your 3 bet and then call river bet because he's alreday put so much in the pot. what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you 3-bet. Because it'll give you a free card on the river. Same applies to the flop, and it's actually a lot better applied on the flop because the bets are small.

You 3-bet because
a) he'll simply fold (was bluffing)
b) give you free card on next street

WHen you get check-raised and you simply call, what happens on the next card. You get bet into, and you call. (this is for situations where your hand is alright and could hold up, but at the same time a fair number of cards can come to defintiely help you out). So by 3-betting, you spend same amount as yo uwould've calling the check-raise and calling the next street.

Same 3 bets except you get free card, aggressive image, possible fold on their part. Those are better than just calling.

[ QUOTE ]

Also when you say peoples make mistake by " not betting river", do you mean one should always bet river if the flush doesn't come? I tried this but always get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

There IS no "always" in poker, as you hopefully have realized by now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Betting the river I mentioned because people tend to just check the river if it missed them, very typical in heads up. Then people fire a shot at them and you have to wonder if you should call it because they could easily be bluffing since you induced it, or god knows and they have a hand.

By betting the river, you
a) possibly force the better hand out (quite common in heads up)
b) don't have to get paranoid over them betting into you.

So unless you know you are beat, and that will happen quite often, fire at it, you only have to win a fairly small % of the time for it to be a worthy investment.

[ QUOTE ]

3 Variety. I guess I am one of those "ABC poker" guys you mentioned. Whenever I loosen up to change my play I get caught. I just stopped doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm yeah... You just need more time and experience to know where you can take shots at people, where to fold etc. It'll come with time.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:04 AM

Alex, I've played against you many times, and I'll back up what others have to say: I love having you at my table. You're very easy to take advantage of. Don't change anything.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 AM

Nightwish I am glad you folks like me.

I am actually quite amused by all the shittalking done here.

If everyone's on to me and I am such a great dude to have at the table to take money off of, how can my hourly be maintained? Makes a lot of sense doesn't it.

Except maybe you guys are simply full of [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If everyone's on to me and I am such a great dude to have at the table to take money off of, how can my hourly be maintained?

[/ QUOTE ]

post your stats including winrate
Old 09-14-2005, 02:29 AM

stinky I see 2 reasons for not posting stats:

1. people are going to RIGHT away claim "come back in 100k hands"

2. why would I post stats when I play against half the forum? that's like shooting yourself in the foot.

my BB/100 over the first 20k hands was 1BB/100 and now it's 3BB/100 over the last 40k hands.

Hope that's sufficient for you.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my BB/100 over the first 20k hands was 1BB/100 and now it's 3BB/100 over the last 40k hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were there any hands in between the first 20k and the last 40k?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 AM

There are lots of fish in the games...Alex definitely ain't one of them. IMO, he plays very well in the ring games.

That said, his lead post in this thread is a bit goofy in many respects as others have pointed out.