Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: ($22) I feel I made the right play

While I feel betting out is much better than a C/R which basically just bloats the pot with a crappy hand...

What happens if 2 people call. Do you shut down completely unless a T or Q hits? Do you fold to any bets (reasonable I mean).

You're really sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. You're just going to get burnt if you continually attempt to whittle your stack with marginal hands and lots of people in the pot.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:32 AM

With five people in the pot it's an easyish fold, but your CR to 150 sux as would Amy's to 125. If you are raising here, it's gotta be 200 to thin the field sufficiently/put pressure on your opponent. Then you can fold to a raise, etc.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what happened is pretty much exactly why I wouldn't C/R here.

at this point, i have to lead the turn again unless i'm just totally giving up on the hand. if i get raised here, im folding in a flash, if i get called, i'm check-folding the river. it just sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I get frisky in situations like this and check/raise, not only does the original bettor call but one of the guys that checked also decides to come along. That is of course great when I hit the flop good.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 AM

... and where's the plan?

You're getting good advice, so I'm not gonna repeat what's been said before. I think what's missing here is you having a good plan as soon as you see the flop (since you know more or less what kind of flops you'd like to see).

If you want to play marginal spots, train yourself to ALWAYS have a plan for the hand. It will save you a whole lot of trouble.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 AM

This really is a good post for lower buy in tourneys. Great advice, and I agree completely, that filling the pot with a checkraise will only make the decisions much harder. Make it easy on yourself, either fold or call and hope you get help, because there are 5 other people that will also call a raise of 45. Your edge, if any, on this hand, is not worth the chips that you will put in, very good advice tho.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:59 AM

having just read the first snippit, id say you could be ahead postflop. his bet could be a steal since you both are in late position. i would not put him on a flush draw at all based on his bet of half the flop which indicates he isnt giving out the pot odds for the flush to be made. all he could have is a better kicker. i would reraise him 3 times his bet, if he calls or raises again your finished with the hand. if you get into the habit of folding top pair and expecting someone to constantly have the nuts against you is a losing formula. ill have a look now to see if im right now.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 AM

yeah i said if he called or raised he defo has something time to check all the way or fold. silly to lose any more money on this one.id say he has a better kicker or trips. no flush draw.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would not put him on a flush draw at all based on his bet of half the flop which indicates he isnt giving out the pot odds for the flush to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense at all. A weak bet like this could easily be a flush draw. It has nothing to do with pot odds.

[ QUOTE ]
all he could have is a better kicker. i would reraise him 3 times his bet, if he calls or raises again your finished with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight. You're going to make it 90 more chips to call, for a total pot of 360 if he calls (or possibly 135 more for a total pot of 450, your wording is a bit unclear) Then, if he does anything other than fold, you're going to check and fold?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:31 AM

Fold the flop because of the number of people in it. If this was heads up or maybe 1 other person in the pot, I would call and lead the turn.. but at this point.. no thanks, I'm not getting involved.

I've put 5 chips into this pot - I don't give a damn who gets it.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 AM

castanza, get your act together.

-steinbrenner