Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: \"Do You Have the Jack\"

[ QUOTE ]
What does it mean when a guy bets into you on the river and while you are contemplating a call, he holds his cards out like he is getting ready to muck them?

[/ QUOTE ]

it means he's a dick.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Why would I bet an A on the river with 2 pair on the board? People never fold headsup there, especially with no action. If I'm betting, I either have air or want to get called.

Suppose I missed some other draw, and have no hand, then I'll bet and there's a few things I can do. Sometimes, I'll say "of course" - sometimes I'll say I'm bluffing. Sometimes, you might show 1 card. Sometimes, you'll sit there and look silent, though I don't usually do this one. It depends on who I'm against.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:10 PM

99% of players will see what they want to see. I don't think it makes a difference what you say or do.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 PM

"What does it mean when a guy bets into you on the river and while you are contemplating a call, he holds his cards out like he is getting ready to muck them?"

he's not getting ready to muck them, he's getting ready to show them down. it means he has the nuts. any time a typical non-reverse tell player (98% of players) touches their cards after they bet the river it means they have a hand they think is the winner and they are expecting you to call.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:15 PM

I say what Tommy would say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What does it mean when a guy bets into you on the river and while you are contemplating a call, he holds his cards out like he is getting ready to muck them?"

he's not getting ready to muck them, he's getting ready to show them down. it means he has the nuts. any time a typical non-reverse tell player (98% of players) touches their cards after they bet the river it means they have a hand they think is the winner and they are expecting you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct. It is ususally the cards held out front of the player with thumb index and middle fingers all set to turn over the winner and they are just saving time from having to pull them out from under a chip.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:10 PM

My default line whenever anybody asks me what I had, either during the hand or after it, is "poket dueces, as usual."
Old 08-24-2005, 06:15 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
My default line whenever anybody asks me what I had, either during the hand or after it, is "poket dueces, as usual."

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was presto?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct. It is ususally the cards held out front of the player with thumb index and middle fingers all set to turn over the winner and they are just saving time from having to pull them out from under a chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree completely. but it still means that he's a dick.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Hi Andy,

I've been getting asked this more frequently than ever, not sure why. This question is very difficult to answer because it seems like you play with your opponents regularly, and if you say yes and show something different, it may be -EV for future interactions with them. Instead of being a tough but FRIENDLY adversary which they enjoy sitting with, you would then just be viewed as an ass. This is what I say and it normally solicits more calls than folds: "If I say yes, will you fold your hand?"