Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Woman Kicked of Southwest flight for political T shirt

I'm constantly amazed by how many people (woman on the plane included) don't seem to understand the meaning of the term Free Speech.

Free Speech does not mean speech without consequences. This woman is fully entitled to wear that shirt AND Southwest is fully entitled to throw her off the flight.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 PM

As die-hard of a supporter of the First Amendment I am(and really, I go pretty overboard), I must concede that I side with Southwest on this one, simply because, as the poster before me just implicated, Southwest is not obligated to provide service to anyone.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As die-hard of a supporter of the First Amendment I am(and really, I go pretty overboard), I must concede that I side with Southwest on this one, simply because, as the poster before me just implicated, Southwest is not obligated to provide service to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The First Amendment protects you from infringement of the right to free speech by the government. I don't have any obligation to afford you free speech, and a company has no obligation to provide anyone with the opportunity to free speech.

Contrary to the statements made, Southwest does have a certain obligation to provide service. As a licensed common carrier, it cannot discriminate, and must provide service to anyone who follows its rules. If it has rules that it enforces equally and without discrimination, then it can deny service to anyone who violates those rules.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Okay...yes...I agree with that. I was referring to the example at hand, not a general business practice.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:22 PM

The people who complained about the T-Shirts are idiots.

Getting upset about F-Words on T-Shirts (or internet forums) is OK for the Leave it to Beaver crowd. It is pretty much part of the lexicon today, from middle school upwards (for better or for worse).
Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is pretty much part of the lexicon today, from middle school upwards (for better or for worse).

[/ QUOTE ]

It got to be that way because people did not complain and because teachers are too scared to tell children that they are doing something wrong, for fear of traumatising them or being sued for infringement of free speech.

"Everyone does it" is not an excuse for incivility and rudeness, any more than it is a justification for a young child to get a tattoo or to smoke dope. People who do not object to rude behaviour are cowardly and contribute to the problem. People who are rude or who excuse rudeness on the basis that everyone does it are sheep following the herd.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Something being commonplace doesn't make it less obscene.

It comes down to this:
You have a right to say/wear what you want.

Other people have a right to react to what you say/wear.

Private businesses have a right to make decisions based on any criteria they want.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Private businesses have a right to make decisions based on any criteria they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case clearly dropping the F-bomb on a shirt was out of line and I have no problem with Southwest making the decision it did. However private companies that use public property (like airports) and public employees (like flight controllers) can't just make decisions like this willy-nilly: for example, Southwest should have no more right to throw me off for wearing a Kerry-Edwards shirt than it would for someone wearing an Alaska Airlines logo.

Anyway, they should have just made her step outside for 10 minutes like they do in WSOP. (Now that's a stupid F-bomb rule IMHO.)
Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In this case clearly dropping the F-bomb on a shirt was out of line and I have no problem with Southwest making the decision it did. However private companies that use public property (like airports) and public employees (like flight controllers) can't just make decisions like this willy-nilly: for example, Southwest should have no more right to throw me off for wearing a Kerry-Edwards shirt than it would for someone wearing an Alaska Airlines logo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget they are an industry heavily subsidized by the government

Melch
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In this case clearly dropping the F-bomb on a shirt was out of line and I have no problem with Southwest making the decision it did. However private companies that use public property (like airports) and public employees (like flight controllers) can't just make decisions like this willy-nilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't make the decision willy-nilly. They have rules, approved by the FAA, that prohibit obscene behavior and clothing.

[ QUOTE ]
for example, Southwest should have no more right to throw me off for wearing a Kerry-Edwards shirt than it would for someone wearing an Alaska Airlines logo

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are political issues, not prohibited by the rules. Despite the OP's title, this is not a political issue, it is an issue of public obscenity. Sorry, I meant to say public idiocy.