Default Re: Nomar!!!!

All the scouts say it's a wash.

Peter Gammons says it had to happen.

I'm going to sleep on it.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-31-2004, 10:59 PM

People have always accused Boston of hanging on to players they couldn't resign and getting nothing for it in return (Mo Vaughn, Roger Clemens). I guess this had to happen.

Weird to not have him around, though.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have Nomar for the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have liked to have Nomar for the playoffs last year unfortunately he didn't show up. Their problem is not scoring runs it's the defense that has been terrible this year.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:28 AM

when you choose to emphasis "anyone" you make it sound like Nomar is just your eveyday player. Nomar made the Red Sox good again. If anything Nomar is not just "anyone" he is in fact someone they should have cared about much much more. They tried to low-ball him; thats obvious, they thought they could rely on signing big free agents like the Yankees, but they can't. They have to build players just like everyone else. It will be interesting to see who they piss of this offseason.

Theo is a joke.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 AM

I don't feel 4 years 60 million is a low ball offer. Seeing as Tejada signed for 12 million a year at the start of this season.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:14 AM

Default The Jury is Back

Apparently, Nomar called Larry Lucchino yesterday to inform him that suddenly, for no apparent reason, the achilles felt fine.

Good riddance.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: The Jury is Back

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, Nomar called Larry Lucchino yesterday to inform him that suddenly, for no apparent reason, the achilles felt fine.

Good riddance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but there is more. Apparently Nomar had told the teams trainers and Francoma that the ankle was acting up and that he would be needing days off periodically and might even have to go on the DL some time in August.

The Red Sox, I think then determined that it just wasn't worth keeping him regardless of whether he the statements were true or not. If they were true, then they had damaged goods and if he was fibbing then they had a malingerer on their hands. Lose/lose for the Red Sox.

Then Luchino called him after the trade and asked him how the ankle was and Nomar said "It's great. . . now!

He's a baby and good riddance. He put himself in the position of the Red Sox trying to make the Arod deal when he made it apparent that the Red Sox weren't going to be able to re-sign him to a reasonable contract.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 AM

Not only that, but after being "dissed" much more than Nomar, Manny is having a very good year and apparently not dogging it at all.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM

Good point about Manny. I think people that thought the Nomar trade to be horrible are remembering him for what he was, not what his current state of mind made him into if that makes any sense. All good things must come to an end and it looks like Nomar wanted out of Boston.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Default NOMAR (with an \"R\")

The glow around my being is still going full blast after hearing of this trade Saturday afternoon while golfing. I'm almost in disbelief that my Cubbies have grown enough sack in the past two years to actually add good players at the trade deadline. For years we had mgmt. that refused to spend money and was ultra-conservative - and the results were appropriate. These past two seasons under Jim Hendry have been amazing. Nomar's even wearing Andre Dawson's #8 (my all-time fav player) so I'm in some sort of warp zone right now.

And to clarify....we'll call him NOMARRRRR (with a hard R) because we're not Boston, we're Chicago damnit! We don't talk like Ben Affleck here. We speak normally (ha, ha).