Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Winning $100,000 and Writing About How to To It

I think what it says is...

The mathematically-inclined Mr. Sklansky and the sound businessman Mr. Malmuth are both making considerably more in publishing than they would if devoting the same amount of time to simply playing,

and/or

they both know that the currently-potential publishing revenues should not be expected to exist ad infinitum, and must be exploited to the fullest degree NOW.

Or something.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:24 PM

A player is not either tight or wild; wild implies loose, unpredictable, and aggressive. There are a lot of places to be between tight and wild.

It's natural that players will assume David is tight and aggressive; what he states is that others will tighten up against him. Mason says that having a wild image is bad; likewise, a wild image will encourage players to play tighter than you. I don't think that these two statements are contradictory--they don't address the same issue.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:50 PM

I think David is saying players tighten up against him because they fear he's a much better player than they are and thus don't want to get involved for fear of being outplayed and thus embarrassed. He says while there are advantages to this, on balance he feels this hurts him in a ring game.

Now I have a tight image, but players don't fear me like I assume they fear David, and for good reason. I'd sure be more willing to mix it up a bit with Andy Fox than with David Sklansky. David's skills and fame go beyond what a typical no-name solid, tight-imaged player possesses.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:59 PM

Most of the "tightening up" probably occurs before the flop- people won't want to show down a hand they clearly shouldn't have played. Obviously this is very bad for EV since playing too loosely preflop is a very expensive mistake. And most of the time your tight image isn't going to get your opponent off a decent hand postflop. It will only get them to fold a very marginal one, so the number of additional pots you can win isn't that big. Anyway not big enough to recoup what you would be winning if your opponents were playing their normal loose game preflop.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:18 PM

Good post.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Ray, you\'re saying that.....

Ray,

Writing a book could be alot of work. God forbid! I'd hate to see you do some work, even though you post twice as much as anyone here.

Why don't you let Mason or David do an outline for you and they could just interview you for the details over the phone?

Good Luck

Mark
Old 09-13-2003, 10:35 PM

why dont you do the outline and maybe we will see. since you are only working 4 days a week and have all the time in the world.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:05 AM

Ray,

It is true that I only work 4 days a week, but, like I told John Cole, the other days I've been reading manuals and documentation so I can do my job. I might even get a big bonus. If I had a lot of free time, I'd be posting about poker, since this is what I'd rather do.

But, since you did suggest it, I will write an outline for you, but don't hold your breath. I have to do my work for my employer now, but maybe towards the end of the year I will get started and submit this outline to you. Thanks for the ideas.

Good Luck

Mark