Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
basically you're only beating a bluff or a very small pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it matter so much what I'm beating. Do you expect him to routinely call my raise and my river bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been playing with villian, so I don't know. You didn't offer a read, but you offered how you've been playing. Based on the level you're playing and your offered image, I don't like the play. If you've been playing tight, I love it. But what you're saying here makes hardly any sense. On one hand you don't want villian to think about your hand, but at the same time you expect him to fold to your weak hand. Does that really make sense to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm saying is, what range of hands is villain willing to play for his whole stack with? Most "slightly tag" players aren't going nuts here with AJ or TT are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is truly TAG, and he's been paying attention, then I do play out this hand here. Like I said, if you weren't being real aggresive at the table, then I like the play. That's all I'm saying.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 AM

It is not imperative that you play like this to become a better player. This is chip spewing and fancy play syndrome and whatever else you want to call it. That's saying a lot coming from me.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if he has adjusted at all to your play yes i do. given the level i do not expect him to adjust except to say he may look at his hand and say i have AJ and i am not folding. essentially, i am saying (as is freakdaddy) you make money at this limit by betting/raising for value, not trying to move someone off top pair. i like the way u are thinking, but it is not optimal for the level of play. u really should be playing ur cards at this level, especially if u are multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
good advice.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about...

I think this is pure bluff since he bet twice against pf raiser so you have to put him at least on good Jack here. You have few outs if called. Overpair usually raise that flop because of flush draw. So you are selling a flush basically. I would rather have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for this move. My experience is that it is -EV in this level but you have more FE against good opponent. So it depends.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 AM

Hero - Posts small blind $0.50
Villain - Posts big blind $1
*** POCKET CARDS ***
(Folded to Hero, 6 handed)
Dealt to Hero [As 2c]
Hero - Calls $0.50
Villain - Raises $3 to $4
Hero - Calls $3
*** FLOP *** [4d Qs 8s]
Hero - Checks
Villain - Bets $6
Hero - Calls $6
*** TURN *** [4d Qs 8s] [10c]
Hero - Checks
Villain - Bets $6
Hero - Raises $23 to $23
Villain - Folds
*** SHOW DOWN ***
AJFENIX - Shows [As 2c] (ace high)
AJFENIX Collects $30.40 from main pot

I do this VERY rarely at these stakes. I'm sure I'm missing dollars by not finding the right opponents to pull this on more often, but doing this more than once in a blue moon at these stakes is often just going to be spewing.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:48 AM

Very bad call preflop sir. This looks like a bad board for something super fancy.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 AM

The preflop call wasn't as bad as it seems given the player. I would have been calling here with any two. Obviously calling raises OOP with A2o isnt standard for me. This flop is perfectly fine for a float/delayed bluff line. Rainbow and king high on the flop would have been better, but this flop was fine to float on.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:13 AM

I can't think of one player that I would like to play A2o out of position in a raised pot. Fish or not, hand is trash, position is trash.

I think this is just spewing. And what happens if he checks behind on the turn? You bluff river? Trying delayed bluff out of position on this board is spewing just about always IMO.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:57 AM

I don't necessarily bluff the river. By floating, I evaluate based on play and what falls. I may float into top pair, a flush draw, or he may bet the turn weak like I suspected he would the majority of the time here, and set himself up for the raise. If he makes what I think is a legitimate bet, I go away. I use the new information to make my judgement. I felt playing any two against an opponent this transparent was +EV in this spot. Like I said, once in a blue moon.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about...

this an ugly bad play. Why get in this situation in the first place? this makes no sense at this level. FPS.. I hate it ..all of it. You dont need to make these plays at this level to grind easy money.
Sure the play may be fun to analyze but it sucks if he does call your semi-bluff on the turn you just cost yourself 3-4 hours of work cause you are beat.

At this level solid play takes the cheese-this is wholely unneccesary unless you are just having fun or are drunk..and its worth the entertainment value...