Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Am I addicted?

Don't let poker ruin your education.. An education definitly has a higher Ev than poker... for most people. And I'm sure that if you flunk out of college after one semester because of poker, your mom will have you in GA meetings asap.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 AM

I played more poker this semester than I ever have and had my best grades yet. Poli Sci/History BS majors rule!

Also, just take out whatever you've invested as has been said. If that doesn't convince her, tell her she should stop being jealous of the fact that as a young adult you are making a better finanicial future for yourself while she created nothing but a cold empty loveless shell of a human being with no ability to have an ounce of trust or compassion in her own son due to her awful life choices in money, marriage and employment. And, because of the fact her life has been devoid of any positive luck doesn't mean that just because you fell out of her vagina doesn't mean you will be follow that curse.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as long as you're of legal age...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like he isn't.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:22 AM

Make a deal with her: tell her you won't play a single minute of poker for 2 weeks (or you two can agree on a length) to show her that you are not addicted, and stick to it. In return, she has to listen to you defend why poker can be won on a consistent basis.

If this settles your disputes, I'd consider it a bargain. So you lose a couple weeks worth of income (probably about a hundred bucks if you play low limits for a couple hours a day), who cares? She's buying you a laptop, probably supporting you through college, etc. More importantly, she's your mom.

If this deal sounds shitty to you, if you you'd rather play poker over the next couple weeks than maintain a good relationship with your mom, then yes, you're probably addicted. If the deal sounds reasonable enough, I'd consider it a bargain in the long run.

If nothing else, it shows her you're at least attempting to bargain with her, something an addict would be loath to do...
Old 05-12-2005, 02:18 AM

Default If your a winning player quit...if not, then stand strong

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 03:23 AM

do what your mom tells you to do. you are not old enough to make rational decisions, which is why you have someone there to make them for you. when you are on your own, you can do what you want. smoke crack, for all i care.

bye
Old 05-12-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make a deal with her: tell her you won't play a single minute of poker for 2 weeks (or you two can agree on a length) to show her that you are not addicted, and stick to it. In return, she has to listen to you defend why poker can be won on a consistent basis.

If this settles your disputes, I'd consider it a bargain. So you lose a couple weeks worth of income (probably about a hundred bucks if you play low limits for a couple hours a day), who cares? She's buying you a laptop, probably supporting you through college, etc. More importantly, she's your mom.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I can easily go two weeks without poker, especially since this upcoming week is graduation and the week after that I'm going down to Panama City! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Please realize that most arguments about poker/addiction/time spent playing whether it be with mom/wife/girlfriend are rarely about actually playing poker. It is about spending time with each other. Realize that your mom is probably having difficulty with the fact that you are going to school soon and she is choosing this as her outlet.

The best way I found to work through this is to set up a schedule. Say to her "I really do enjoy playing and I don't want to stop". What I can do is limit my play to X hrs/week and I want to review my results with you periodically to demonstrate that I have the maturity to play the game within my limits and show her that you are a consistant winner. This does two things. First, if you stay with the schedule, you can prove to her (and yourself) that you are not addicted. Second, it frees up time to spend time with the people you care about before you go away to school.

Climbing off my soapbox now.

Enjoy.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 AM

Its good that your mother understands that you are winning now. It sounds like her fear is that this is just "luck" and that you will eventually lose a lot of money.

Remind her that you are playing now on your winnings. Tell her that poker is entertainment to you. Pledge to her that if you lose the money you've won you will want to keep playing poker but that you will not deposit more than fifty dollars a month to play poker on. That's certainly a reasonable entertainment budget.

The beautiful thing about this is that not only does it address the fear of big losses, if you are a winning player with proper bankroll mangaement skills making (and keeping) this pledge costs you nothing, since you should never have to be in the position of depositing again.

--Zetack
Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 AM

Congrats on graduating by the way. Enjoy Panama City.