Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: First, Do No Harm.

[ QUOTE ]
Read this link (THE ENTIRE THING).

[/ QUOTE ]

did nobody else read any of this? it says if the child is under 3 months old, a rectal thermometer is the preferred method. my daughter is 1 year old. they could have used any of the other methods to take her temperature.

actually, the most accurate way to get a temp is with a mercury thermometer. they don't use those anymore because there is a small degree of danger involved(though i've never heard of anyone being harmed by a mercury thermometer administered by a medical professional)

cheers!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did nobody else read any of this? it says if the child is under 3 months old, a rectal thermometer is the preferred method. my daughter is 1 year old. they could have used any of the other methods to take her temperature.

actually, the most accurate way to get a temp is with a mercury thermometer. they don't use those anymore because there is a small degree of danger involved(though i've never heard of anyone being harmed by a mercury thermometer administered by a medical professional)

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And they generally use the mercury thermometer rectally on small children. Christ! Are you really this crazy. It's standard to take a small child's temperature rectally! Get over it!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's standard to take a small child's temperature rectally! Get over it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of my sons have ever (or would I have allowed them to be traumatized this way) had their temperature taken rectally.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of my sons have ever (or would I have allowed them to be traumatized this way) had their temperature taken rectally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is [censored] hilarious! I can't belive there are this many retarts here. Wtf is wrong with you people? It doesn't traumatize them. It's standard. They'll never remember it. Do you wipe their asses? Or ina girl's case her vagina? Or does that traumatize them? I hope your kids never need a suppository, or God help them an enema, which are also fairly standard for certain childhood maladies. You people are freaks.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You, and the others who share your views, have issues.

Adam Stewart
Class of Medicine 2007
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 PM

You may think rectal thermometers are gross but other methods can be off on the order of degrees, not just tenths. For children under 3, accurate temperature is best determined rectally. The fact that it played a part in your reasoning for leaving the doc's office is ridiculous!
Old 04-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Come on people, I can't believe this thread is still going on...

It is well beyond obvious that the OP's reasoning for not allowing the temperature to be taken in the nurse's recommended way was his severe level of discomfort with anything regarding the anus. Homophobia comes to mind. Of course, it was his daughter, so let's not talk about possible ramifications of having her temperature taken rectally, which would cause not only immeasurable physical damage immediately, but also likely cause the child to eventually become a mass murderer and cocaine addict in the future.

Wow. The fact that this is even a debate boggles my mind...
Old 04-12-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on people, I can't believe this thread is still going on...

It is well beyond obvious that the OP's reasoning for not allowing the temperature to be taken in the nurse's recommended way was his severe level of discomfort with anything regarding the anus. Homophobia comes to mind. Of course, it was his daughter, so let's not talk about possible ramifications of having her temperature taken rectally, which would cause not only immeasurable physical damage immediately, but also likely cause the child to eventually become a mass murderer and cocaine addict in the future.

Wow. The fact that this is even a debate boggles my mind...

[/ QUOTE ]

and i can't believe most everyone here more or less agrees with you. i left because a) there was NO MEDICAL NEED to take her temperature rectally, yet the nurse insisted upon it. i am the father, and i get to choose what type of care my daughters receive(no matter my reasoning). in this case, i thought she'd be better off going home with me instead of staying at a place with such inanely rigid attitudes. and b) she had stopped crying and did not look, feel or seem sick at all. again, i was there for PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES, not an emergency.

cheers!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:09 PM

You're an idiot. I hope your daughter is OK. I hope next time your wife takes care of her.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:12 PM

i thought this was a "LOST" thread discussion of episode "do no harm"

you made me waste 2 minutes