Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: K7s 40-80 bb flop question

This hand is covered in HEFAP, and it is a fold.

I am not claiming I fold this hand everytime but I think calling is the worst option here. Raise to protect, if you decide to play otherwise fold. Just calling seems like a terrible line to me, you have no draw and you let all the weak draws come along cheaply.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:59 AM

"This hand is covered in HEFAP"

Where?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:45 AM

it's the part where you have like black A8 in the bb and the sb bets into a large field and the flop is AJ9 w/ two diamonds or something and it says to just go ahead and fold because even if youre ahead your against like all sorts of draws and the sb is showing a lot of strength betting into the field there. classic reverse implied odds scenario.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:53 AM

Default results

the result is that cracksmoker gabe was actually the one who played this hand and he of course raised like a compulsive gambler. i told him that raising there is hideous and the play is a clear fold, classic reverse implied odds mess with a preflop raiser and a cold caller behind you. we both agreed that call was ridiculous because it let's something like AcJh behind you just come along for one bet unchecked. yuck.

if youre not beat already then you will be by the end of the hand a lot of the time. it's a mess. the pot is not BIG, it's medium sized. dont make it big by pumping it with crummy vulnerable top pair and drawing dead or to runner runner the majority of the times youre behind. omg it's just so freaking horrible to raise or call here. it's a fold clear and simple.

anyway that's what i was screaming in gabe's ear when i was in line at pinks last night waiting for a friend and gabe was rattling off this claptrap about how certain he was his hand was good and so on. so the turn is the Kh putting 4 hearts out there and making gabe top two. the sb had 3 bet the flop btw after everyone folded. so now the sb bets the turn and gabe of course has to call again because he's getting like 9-1 or some crap. thin garbagey mess. so now the sb bets the river and gabe folds and the sb shows his QhTh for the flopped flush.

so the result is gabe sucks and im a genius and all the name posters got this one dead wrong and all the others kicked ass. good job guys.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:54 AM

i think you should raise

then evaluate the subsequent action
Old 02-26-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: results

Right, all of the name posters got it wrong except for half of them.

-Michael
Old 02-26-2005, 05:04 AM

that hand is very different than this hand.

in this hand you have many more outs when behind. also, your reverse implied odds are not as bad because you are waaaaaaaay ahead of AK.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:19 AM

I am glad I kicked ass...I think
Old 02-26-2005, 05:35 AM

I have a question.

Whats the minimum strength hand not containing a heart do you need to play on here if top pair second kicker isn't enough? Black Aces? Tens? 2 pair? A set? A straight?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question.

Whats the minimum strength hand not containing a heart do you need to play on here if top pair second kicker isn't enough? Black Aces? Tens? 2 pair? A set? A straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good question, since I said fold I'll try and answer it. I want to say tens, because then you are pretty much guaranteed nobody but the preflop raiser coudl have started the hand with a better hand than you. Part of the reason I hate the original hand is that you are losing to so many pocket pairs.