Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Default I dunno if someone else brought this up

but the ads for party that I see on TV are for Party.net. They claim it's some kind of poker school where I assume you learn to play for no money. Essentially download their software and play on a no money table. They probably use that to download all kinds of spyware and adware crap like this site is starting to do.... how lame is that...... I appreciate all the advice and the pain in the ass is worth it but man these pop ups are crazy aggressive. One pops up, then another trys to download software, don't hit the wrong button next thing ya know your search engine is taken over.....freaking lame if you ask me.......
Old 07-20-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: I dunno if someone else brought this up

[ QUOTE ]
They probably use that to download all kinds of spyware and adware crap like this site is starting to do.... how lame is that...... I appreciate all the advice and the pain in the ass is worth it but man these pop ups are crazy aggressive. One pops up, then another trys to download software, don't hit the wrong button next thing ya know your search engine is taken over.....freaking lame if you ask me.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get any of that here. It sounds like your machine is infected with Spyware and your browser has been hijacked to have popups on any site. Try this:

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10...amp;tag=button
Old 07-20-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Poker adds on TV: possible $25 bounty for leads

Again, the laws in this country are vague and unformed. I said nothing about placing a bet as that is a separate issue. The end-user of online poker programs will most likely never have anything to worry about. Police aren't going to come busting down your doors because you deposited $50 in Party Poker. Even on a much smaller level - people are rarely bothered for being the one placing the bet . It is those providing the forum for taking the action that are under the gun.

That said, this country is still trying to figure out what it thinks about online gaming, and the laws are all over the place (federal vs. state). If I were a betting man, I'd bet on legal in the U.S. by 2008 - clarified by the rule of law. They'll get on the bus and attempt to "regulate" it, as they always do.

www.gamblingandthelaw.com
Old 07-20-2004, 10:12 PM

i don't have any problems with pop-ups either.

and i don't think it's terribly responsible to speculate that party's play-money site invades you with pop-ups when you don't seem to have any evidence that this happens.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:49 AM

Go ahead and make the mistake of hitting "download" when one of those pop ups ask you if you want to download. I'm not exactly sure which pop up it was but I haven't been on this site in a month or so and I came back and kept getting nailed. I meant to hit the option to cancel or quit or not download but I hit enter and it downloaded some crap in to my puter.

As for being responsible or irresponsible....yeah these poker sites, especially the newer ones, are real responsible. They inundate you with email. They send mail to your house because, and I'm assuming here, that Party or one of the other ones sold your info, (I assume Party because Empire, the site I receive mail from all the time, uses the same skin). Irresponsible my behind, it's reasonable to assume that these gambling sites are targeting you and are trying to put their name in you conscious. They also want to track your activity and find out how they can best market to you. If you think that Party and all the other ones aren't using every method at their diposal to do this you haven't been paying attention to what's going on online with "legit" sites let a lone gambling sites.

(by the way as I am sitting here typing this I get a download pop up that wants me to download something)
Old 07-21-2004, 11:54 AM

I have adaware and it found a bunch of stuff. I got rid of it but it didn't do anything. I still have a problem with my search engine being hijacked.

Thanks