Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Weightlifting Advice

[ QUOTE ]
thats irrelevant. the plan he has given you will add no mass. my plan (and someone else echoed it) is solid for all shapes. don't [censored] around with that faggy crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you remember what it was like when you were a beginner? They need to go slow and a split like that is ridiculous. They're going to gain almost no matter what. Maybe split upper and lower body, sure.
People like you turn more people off of lifting than anyone.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it makes perfect sense that these beginners hsould jump on the same plan as an experienced lifter that's 6'3 220 and 10% bf. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since lmd is 5'4", 95 lbs
Old 11-02-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
circuit training of the type you described is for women.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, have you seen LMD and geormiet?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so me and geormiet and CostaRicaBill joined a gym two doors down from our apartment here in lovely Costa Rica. We're all underweight and know very little about working out.

Anyways, our trainer, Marcello, has created a program that has us working out five times time a week lifting the same weight, doing a circuit of every body part each day. Now, like I said, I know very little about working out, but everything I do know says that this is entirely wrong if the goal is to build muscle. What do the 2+2 experts think of Marcello's advice?

Thanks.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. A full body circuit is a fine way for a beginner to start out, mostly to get your body acclimated to lifting, but 5 times a week is too much. Let me guess, Marcello charges on a per session basis? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Fire his ass, Im sure you could do better just reading on the internet or buying a good book from amazon.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:56 AM

Starting off with your program for the first few weeks is ok. But after, you should focus on lifting heavy weights with low repetitions. You don't need any cardio as I am assuming you already have a low body fat %. Also, make sure to rest adequately between sessions. The biggest problem I find is people overtraining their bodies instead of focusing on strength and muscle building, which you want to do as a thin guy.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:58 AM

totally agree with peter.. make sure and EAT. if you're an ecto, you absolutely must eat like it's your job. it's just as important as lifting
Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
totally agree with peter.. make sure and EAT. if you're an ecto, you absolutely must eat like it's your job. it's just as important as lifting

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true, especially for thin guys or hard gainers. When I want to put on mass, I have to eat way more than I'm comfortable eating.

Skinny guys can have metabolisms that tear down their muscle so quickly and replace it so slowly that they have to eat more than usual just to stay the same size. Actually growing -- that can take a hellacious amount of eating.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Hey lmd,

As the resident physician on the forum I will just chime in to add very little. I also have 20 years of weight training.(I know it doesn't show)

Warik owned this thread and good advice was also given by leehrat and addickt (except the steroid crap). The last thing that you would ever want to do is fuuck around with steroids. Trust me on that.

The circuit thing is really bad for what your goals are but not a bad idea for a week or 2 at the start. It is very important for beginners to avoid the most common problem. That is, quitting. If you go bang out 10 sets of 8 reps per muscle group straight out of the gate, you will be so sore you won't be able to move. This type of pain and discomfort may negatively affect you psychologically and discourage you from going back. There is also the risk of injury which will really set you back. The most important thing of all is making fitness a part of your life and finding a way to enjoy the training or you will not continue long term. Building muscle mass for us little guys is hard and really takes a long term dedication.

Nutrition is also very important and a guy with your frame will literally have a hard time eating as much as you will need to in order to put on mass.

Too bad you never told me you were looking to get into lifting..we could have done a few workouts before you left.

BTW, my family owns 4 gyms in San Diego so if anyone in the area of downtown, carlsbad, bonita, or el cajon is looking for a place to train I may be able to get you a deal. *shameless plug*
Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 AM

I was actuall ya competive bodybuilder for many years.... There are a couple ways to look at this...

First off, the circuit thing is ok for about 2 weeks, just to get your muscles acclimated to working out...

After that, you will need to drop the circuit and Really hit free weights hard..

If your goal is to gain Muscle, I wouldnt worry at all about cardio at first. Stick with core excercises and keep your reps in the 5-8 range.. With about 8-12 sets per body part.

I wouldnt work ANY body part more than 2 times per week but go very very heavy.

Also, the most important part is NUTRITION.. Try to consume about 2.5 Grams of Protein per Lb of body weight and so a lot of research on supplements..

btw, are steroids legal there???

If so I would run some light injectables in small doses.. Like maybe 400 Mg Test Enanthate or Cypionate...

Thats very light dose and you wont see any negative sides from that amount, other than a little water retention.. ( Which you can get rid of with Dandelion root.... and drink tons of water
Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actuall ya competive bodybuilder for many years.... There are a couple ways to look at this...

First off, the circuit thing is ok for about 2 weeks, just to get your muscles acclimated to working out...

After that, you will need to drop the circuit and Really hit free weights hard..

If your goal is to gain Muscle, I wouldnt worry at all about cardio at first. Stick with core excercises and keep your reps in the 5-8 range.. With about 8-12 sets per body part.

I wouldnt work ANY body part more than 2 times per week but go very very heavy.

Also, the most important part is NUTRITION.. Try to consume about 2.5 Grams of Protein per Lb of body weight and so a lot of research on supplements..

btw, are steroids legal there???

If so I would run some light injectables in small doses.. Like maybe 400 Mg Test Enanthate or Cypionate...

Thats very light dose and you wont see any negative sides from that amount, other than a little water retention.. ( Which you can get rid of with Dandelion root.... and drink tons of water

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a PT and this is great advice. Erase all other posts!!!

www.personal-training.com.au