Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: my two bits...

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps a different tack to this topic may have been in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was originally going to write exorbitant, but was not sure of the spelling and did not care to check. That being said, I am pretty sure that by now 2+2.com is now self sufficient and generates enough ad revenue to cover their costs, if not they are doing something wrong
Old 06-21-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Conjelco prices are nuts!.

Hi Death Valley (RollaJ):

You may be taking my statements a little out of context. These forums are administered by Chuck Weinstock of ConJelCo. So to that end he sells the books and sets the retail prices, and yes we make the same amount whether Chuck sells them or they are sold by another entity.

However, Chuck does a great deal of work to keep these forums humming. If it wasn't for his time and effort, www.twoplustwo.com probably wopuldn't exist, or if it did exist, it wouldn't be in the same form. So because of that, we do appreciate that you purchase our books here. It's a way of saying thank you to someone (Chuck) who certainly deserves it.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-21-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Amazon Amazing

[ QUOTE ]
Do I have to meet them downstairs like the pizza guy, or do they deliver it to the shipping area, and the mailroom brings it up to me? I always assumed the pizza option and thus havent done it as sometimes I cant leave the office

[/ QUOTE ]

I can now answer this question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had ordered some books on Friday to be delivered to my other halfs work (She works in Manhattan). She ended up leaving early on Friday (and I hadn't told her they were coming) so they retried delivery today (at 9:20 AM).

The receptionist called and told her the books were there. She just had the receptionist sign for them and then grabbed them later. So as long as someone will sign for them you can get them whenever.

Note that for same day delivery they guarantee delivery by 7 PM, so it may arrive after business hours. If there's someone there to sign for it they'll leave the books, otherwise they retry delivery the next (business?) day. Not sure if they try again after that once more or not. After that they just ship normally.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:28 PM

I don't quite get it. If Conjelco is one of 2plus2's main distributors, I would assume that Conjelco's wholesale cost is at best equal or below that of other distributors and retailers.

Having said that, why can't Conjelco at least match the prices of the big box retailers such as B&N or Amazon? and why would Conjelco let these guys consistently undercut them on the 2plus2 titles?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:29 PM

That's easy. ConJelCo sells a niche product of gambling books to a select market of gamblers. So when Chuck wants to buy a big mac at McDonalds he has too make enough profit on each of the couple of hundred of books he sells to pay for his big mac.

Amazon sells a million titles of books to a billion people. So when Amazon wants to buy a big mac at McDonalds, they only need to make a thousanth of the profit on each book they sell as compared to Chuck's per book profit to afford the big mac. In fact, Amazon can probably super size their order, since they don't have the expense of maintaining a forum site.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:43 PM

I would love to help Chuck and Conjelco out but it just doesn't make economic sense for me too.
I live in Canada where it is virtually impossible to get quality poker books especially 2plus2's. My only option is to order online and I usually shop between independent sites, ebay and Amazon and Amazon is the only one that can offer me both selection and price.
I really want to preorder Small Stakes Hold'em but I just know that if I wait an extra few weeks, I can get it for about 40% less so I just don't have an incentive to do so.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:54 PM

Hi avatar77:

Conjelco is not one of our main distributors. In fact, they don't distribute our books at all. They are a retailer of our products and as such they purchase them at standard wholesale prices.

But where our relationship with them is special is that they are the administrator of this web site and to that end Chuck Weinstock does a lot of special work concerning these pages.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-21-2004, 07:57 PM

Here's some incentive. The book should more they pay back the money you save by waiting those few weeks.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-22-2004, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But where our relationship with them is special is that they are the administrator of this web site and to that end Chuck Weinstock does a lot of special work concerning these pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who gets the ad revenue from 2+2.com., Conjelco or 2+2 publishing?
And who pays to keep the site up and running, including tech fees and moderator renumeration?

I assume this site is not a "loss leader" and that it more than pays for itself at this point. If that is not the case I would more than happily buy all my books from conjelco (of course you are about 30 books late [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])
(wouldn't Getting the Best of It advocate amazon [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM

My guess is that these forums lose money... Bandwidth is expensive and online advertising can pay very little, although poker sites might be able to afford paying more for banners.