Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: rebuy tournaments

[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with XHAD

[/ QUOTE ]

You completely agree? OK. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: rebuy tournaments

First i will say i have done very well in multiple rebuy events. This format is my favorite. Several first places including one live event, but no huge payouts. Im not someone you'll see on TV [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
To your first question, i believe my edge in these is about the best i can get.

in a very small tournament where your rebuy takes you above average chips (you can allow for a short period after your buyin), instant rebuying isn't always profitable. Chips have a diminishing marginal value or as skalnsky's book puts it, winning a chip helps you less than losing a chip hurts you. (each additional chip is worth less than the one before it). Put that theory to rebuys and you are profitable to rebuy as long as you are short stacked, but not if you are near average.

can this be overcome by skill? I believe so but its not necessary if you are a good player, why take a disadvantage you don't have to?

That being said, in most rebuy structures. I sit, rebuy, and rebuy at every opportunity. I also take marginal gambles very early to have a big enough stack to pick up every chip in a big advantage.
In other words i take unnecessary gambles just to get enough chips to where i can play morons for their whole stack when i am a big favorite. (I am less likely to take marginal gambles once i have a stack established that i cannot rebuy to.)