Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

here ..its hear .

Did you butcher the language or are you a retard?

Just kidding I could not resist.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you didn't vote Simpsons in the cartoon poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read that thread for the first time and was forced to vote for "Misc assorted japanese animation adventure type cartoons" so that Star Blazers got it's proper vote. However, I don't like any other anime.

Comic Book Guy is funny. I recently just saw the Best...Death...Ever for the hundreth or so time.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: My last response to this thread

i still maintain that if the use of a word like that offends you, than you must be offended by a lot of other words like idiot, moron, etc.

a lot of things offend a lot of people. luckily, nobody is forcing you to read this forum.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 PM

This thread is so gay.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think calling a person a retard is equivalent to saying someone butchered a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does every comment in this thread have to have equivalent weight as the original post?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if butchers are insulted when they here somebody say something like "I really butchered that hand".

I'm sure butchers, as a group, are decent people and perform their jobs competantly. So, why should they be burdened with their profession being synonymous with incompetance?

Why do people use language to denegrate the butchering (sp?) profession?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good comparison.. I don't think anyone's putting down butchers when they say 'I butchered a hand'. When people think of butchers they think of guys just hacking away at big ass pieces of meat with a big knife, without much care for precision or anything. So when someone 'butchers' something, I think they mean that they didn't do things as carefully and precisely as they could have. I don't think it's a slight to the upstanding butchering community. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be retarded.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: My last response to this thread

Daryn, I think this may be one of the rare times I agree with you.

Personally, I get offended when other people are offended so easily. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2004, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if butchers are insulted when they here somebody say something like "I really butchered that hand".

I'm sure butchers, as a group, are decent people and perform their jobs competantly. So, why should they be burdened with their profession being synonymous with incompetance?

Why do people use language to denegrate the butchering (sp?) profession?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good comparison.. I don't think anyone's putting down butchers when they say 'I butchered a hand'. When people think of butchers they think of guys just hacking away at big ass pieces of meat with a big knife, without much care for precision or anything. So when someone 'butchers' something, I think they mean that they didn't do things as carefully and precisely as they could have. I don't think it's a slight to the upstanding butchering community. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are stating that there is no skill involved in being a butcher and that any retard can be a butcher. That is offensive.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Star Blazers ruled

Which did you like better, the first season or the second season?
Old 05-04-2004, 05:10 PM

Here's why you got flamed, and why it was entirely predictable:

It's understandable that you wish people did not use the term. However, it is not understandable that you expect people to stop using it.

I understand that it offends you, you have every right to be offended. However, you have to understand that I, and most of the rest of the world, don't really give a sh*t what offends you or anyone else.

I don't think that anyone would argue (seriously, anyway) that calling people "retarded" is not really a good thing to do. It's not nice, and people probably shouldn't do it. But, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty small.

Our society is littered with terms, expressions, and stereotypes which can be deemed offensive. One of the amazing about our society is that people will pick out a single item (such as sexual orientation, religion, race, and, in this case, mental capacity), and claim that the misuse of that one term is offensive and should stop immediately.

Note for anyone reading this who may be offended from time to time: If the remark is simply insensitive (such as calling someone a retard), and is not especially vicious or dehumanizing (e.g. holocaust jokes), learn to live with it. Nobody is saying that it is OK for people to talk like that. What I am saying is that you are pissing against a tidal wave trying to stop the small things. You will not change anyone's behavior. If anything, people may stop using the term only in front of you, but I can guarantee that they will resent your very presence. People do not like to be lectured. If you preach to people about things such as this, they will both scorn and mock you.

It's like going down to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and trying to convince people to find Jesus. You audience doesn't want to hear it. You won't stop it, so learn to live with it.

I have things to bitch about too. Everyone does. Learn some restraint, and don't waste your time bitching about things that will not change. It only pisses people off.