Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: A3s (Feat. Busted Flush Draw)

Not on this board, no. On unscary boards, yes, all the time. It's a good way to get a pot going against a Villain who you think is somewhat weak. They always think you're stealing. I can't count on them betting again and will rarely get called when I check-raise.

I also had "not on boards like this, though" added in my first draft of the last post. Don't remember where it went, I'm tired. Going to Mickey D's soon.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the damn flop to $10 and take it down. If they call and check the turn, fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely do this. I don't like playing draws for big pots right off the bat, OOP. As I said earlier, a check-raise in this spot is fine, given his crappy minbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your thinking here but why play an approach that induces villans to bluff you. A more aggressive line will lead to villans checking down rivers to your A high versus having to make heroic 20 calls...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your thinking here but why play an approach that induces villans to bluff you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't. I would've been happy if he checked behind and mucked. He bet big and I began thinking about his range and reasons for doing this. I had no prior thinking of, "I'm gonna let him bluff big so I can snap it off with my A3."

It's like you said, my hand looked weak, like a missed draw. I thought his bet screamed of desperation so I looked him up. I wasn't already thinking of how I'd be snapping off some PSB on the river when I checked the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
A more aggressive line will lead to villans checking down rivers to your A high versus having to make heroic 20 calls...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have to make the call. I didn't want to be in the position to where I had to make that call. Again, I would've been very content with him condeding the pot by checking behind. If he woulda bet like $8 I would've folded. The bet was fishy so I began thinking.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM

I do not make that call, but if you think you're good 1/3 of the time... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM

IMO villian is a donkey and is trying to induce hero to bluff. When someone min bets when they can just check and be guarenteed a freecard this is usually a donkeys monster.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO villian is a donkey and is trying to induce hero to bluff. When someone min bets when they can just check and be guarenteed a freecard this is usually a donkeys monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't coincide with my experience of donkeys.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Also, sorry about the messed up stacks. I had $200, UTG had the small stack, I was SB. I had to recreate this manually using the outline of a different hand. I couldn't get the convertor to work properly.