Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous short stacks at the Party $100/$200 game

[ QUOTE ]
is a proper bankroll for 1/2. in fact, i have promised myself that if my total poker bankroll drops below 100k i will be dropping limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron,

Without prying too much into your personal finances, what do you think a safe 1/2 BR is? 100k allows you to lose 40k and still be very nicely rolled for 30/60 where you could get the 40k back in one month if needed. Seems relatively "risk free".

I have always been very cautious with BR management, but I have recently been thinking that I have been much too conservative as I assume many of the posters here playing 1/2 through 3/6 are not all operating with 1/4 million dollar bankrolls and they seem to be getting by.

Nigel
Old 07-24-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is a proper bankroll for 1/2. in fact, i have promised myself that if my total poker bankroll drops below 100k i will be dropping limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron,

Without prying too much into your personal finances, what do you think a safe 1/2 BR is? 100k allows you to lose 40k and still be very nicely rolled for 30/60 where you could get the 40k back in one month if needed. Seems relatively "risk free".

I have always been very cautious with BR management, but I have recently been thinking that I have been much too conservative as I assume many of the posters here playing 1/2 through 3/6 are not all operating with 1/4 million dollar bankrolls and they seem to be getting by.

Nigel

[/ QUOTE ]

id say a better br is at least 600 bets. 750 for virtual certain safety. so if you really wanted to be sure, go w/ 150k. but 120k is fine imo. but like i said, im not comfortable w/ just 100k. think of a 150bb downswing there...thats 30k. and you also have to consider how much more aggressive 1/2 is than 30 and how much more calling down you have to do so you dont get run over.

some poeple who play with me consistently notice how tight i am. i am definately tighter than what i was at 30/60 in most spots except after the flop. since i play so tight, i go to the showdown more often given i see a flop for a number of reasons that i wont list here but should be clear.

hope this helps
Barron
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

id say a better br is at least 600 bets. 750 for virtual certain safety. so if you really wanted to be sure, go w/ 150k. but 120k is fine imo. but like i said, im not comfortable w/ just 100k. think of a 150bb downswing there...thats 30k. and you also have to consider how much more aggressive 1/2 is than 30 and how much more calling down you have to do so you dont get run over.

some poeple who play with me consistently notice how tight i am. i am definately tighter than what i was at 30/60 in most spots except after the flop. since i play so tight, i go to the showdown more often given i see a flop for a number of reasons that i wont list here but should be clear.

hope this helps
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your VPIP, PFR, Aggression factor?

Maybe it's just me but tight people get labelled as just that, tight. At 30/60, people DO have pokertracker and they WILL see your PFR percentage. How can you make any money?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since i play so tight, i go to the showdown more often given i see a flop for a number of reasons that i wont list here but should be clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to understand this statement. You go to showdown more because you play more hands, right?

Ever since I bumped my VPIP to 24 I've been going to a lot less showdowns than when it was 18ish.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you make any money?

[/ QUOTE ]

your right. i dont.
-Barron
Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since i play so tight, i go to the showdown more often given i see a flop for a number of reasons that i wont list here but should be clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to understand this statement. You go to showdown more because you play more hands, right?

Ever since I bumped my VPIP to 24 I've been going to a lot less showdowns than when it was 18ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

other way around.

since i play tight preflop, i go to showdown more given i see a flop. the rest should explain itself.

-Barron
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 AM

Err, that first "more" should read "less". Mistype, but I understand.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i see what you're saying. and yes i agree, sorry. money in bankroll is not "spare" money. its dedicated to a purpose like an investment in a mutual fund.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

But suppose you had money in mutual funds, and had other money for poker. And suppose you had a downswing that would cause you to drop limits. If poker pays better than your fund, wouldn't you be willing to reallocate your "investments" (move money from the fun to poker) in order to stay at the higher limits (assuming higher limits pay better than lower limits)? Yes. This is just rebalancing your portfolio.

You really should think of bankroll as all the money you have, beyond what you need to sustain a basic lifestyle. (When I make a general statement like this, it assumes the investor in question plays a profitable game.)

alThor
Old 07-26-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But suppose you had money in mutual funds, and had other money for poker. And suppose you had a downswing that would cause you to drop limits. If poker pays better than your fund, wouldn't you be willing to reallocate your "investments" (move money from the fun to poker) in order to stay at the higher limits (assuming higher limits pay better than lower limits)? Yes. This is just rebalancing your portfolio.

You really should think of bankroll as all the money you have, beyond what you need to sustain a basic lifestyle. (When I make a general statement like this, it assumes the investor in question plays a profitable game.)

alThor

[/ QUOTE ]

I think BANKROLL = TOTAL INCOME + ASSETS + CHANGE IN COUCH - BARE MINIMUM NEEDED TO LIVE is more of a degenerate gambler's equation than a sound financial strategy.

Books 1-7, excellent. Books 8-10, not so much. Have you read the latest?

SpaceAce
Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people who don't normally play on the Party skin have had trouble getting money quickly enough onto Party. I know that is my problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think neteller deposit has a limit of 2500/day, is IGM or other method higher?

Kenny