Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: How much do you value your life?

I don't value my life highly at all. Umm..I'd roll a 20 sided die for $100k where 19 sides are the $$ and 1 is death.

Speaking of that miller commercial that one with the pizza grease is hilarious.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was assuming it would be an instant death; if it would be, and when you die you cease to be concious instantly, then it would make no difference, as you'd only be aware when you win. This is all assuming you are a "hardcore" atheist with no doubts about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you kill me in my sleep, you haven't harmed me because I won't know you did it? Sorry, not buying it.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 AM

It would have to be infiniti dollars. In other words, im not taking this gamble.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if there's any amount of money I would do this for. Being an atheist, I know there will be nothing when I do. I'd much rather be alive with no money than dead. Plus I'm still young and have the best years of my life to go through. My answer might change if I was 45 with a old, fat wife and kids asking for college money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot to learn about life. My wife and kid are the reason I'd never ever do this for any amount of money.

Marlow
Old 09-22-2005, 12:23 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

I'm an atheist, and I want to live as long as possible, because I enjoy life and don't want to give it up until I absolutely have to (unless it becomes unbearable for some reason). That said, if there were 50,000+ tickets (with only one death ticket), and the value were sufficient to set me and my family up for life (probably in excess of $10M), and my life insurance would take care of my wife for the rest of her life, I'd probably take it.

This reminds me of a short story I read a while back, the name and author of which escape me, in which the premise was that everyone "paid" for everything by sticking their hand into a device. The device was set up to deliver an instantly fatal injection some extremely small percentage of the time (the main problem facing the country - not sure if it was set in the US - was overpopulation). A visitor was interviewing a father, who proudly "paid" for his family's visit to an amusement park, considering it his duty to assume the risk. The story ended with the mother hysterically carrying their two dead children back to him, after they'd snuck off and "paid" for their own ride.

An interesting hypothetical, and as I think about that story, I'm not sure I'd take the bet after all. Ah, well; I'm a chicken.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thought came to me yesterday:

If you had to pick one ticket from a bin of 100 tickets, where 99 of the tickets is a certian amount of money, and one ticket is immediate death (think giant Miller Lite can falling on your head), how much money would the 99 money tickets need to be worth each?

I know my answer, I am curious about you all, if you would take that bet at all, and if you did, how much would you need to stand to gain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Money means nothing. I would not take this bet.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM

I'm really surprised with how many people responded "any amount of money more then I can make in the time it takes to grab the ticket". If there being serious and not just putting on some internet bravado, then I wonder why they put so little value on their lives.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 PM

I would do it once for 400k.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say $10 million ($7 million if tax-free).

[/ QUOTE ]

The tax on 10mil is way more than 3 mil.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:50 AM

I think it depends on your situation. There have been times in my life where I'd have pulled a ticket for a Big Mac and a pack of smokes...

Now?

At least a Big Mac meal... supersize, and a carton of cigarettes.