Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker, what to do with Money?

Have you given up speeding and jaywalking too? I'm asking seriously.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For Christians: Do you consider this money tainted? It was earned while I was breaking the law. If so, what should be done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'd think god has better things to worry about, but it's really between you and him. Perhaps donate a portion of your earnings to charity (or your local church or something) as penance, or take a good chunk and put it towards your future (i.e. investments) doing so at an early age will help you significantly down the road.

FWIW, you seem like a mature young adult so kudos on making a good decision. Poker will always be there.

J
Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 PM

You could send the money to me if you wanted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What to do?? Take a break, work on your game, I don't know. Your 17 man, live like your 17 and don't worry so much about the money.

If I was you though, I'd keep poker for a couple of hours a day and build that BR. You'll be able to afford nice stuff, cars, clothes, clubs etc. Your BR will also be quite a bit larger in 6 months time and maybe by then you'll be an 18yo with a 6 fig income.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:29 PM

gambling underage is a fake law, just like drinking underage, smoking underage, etc etc.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 PM

Hi,

Nice post. One of a couple sources for the Biblical concept you are referring to is Romans 13. Basically it says to respect the authorities and government that you happen to live under. I respect you for your desire to comply with this. It shows a lot of maturity.

Thinking about poker as a Chrisitian can be difficult. A lot of Christian people don't understand the concept of +EV poker. We need to take bankroll management seriously and make sure we are being good stewards of the money God has blessed us with. In my mind this idea rules out playing slots or other -EV games and Blackjack not under a bonus.

As Christians I think it is important to keep a close eye on your ego. We need to maintain a clear perspective about the source of our income, and not start thinking we are all that cause we beat whatever level for xBB/100 over 50k hands.

We also need to acknowledge that some of the money we are winning is likely being lost by people that shouldn't be gambling it in the first place. We also should recognize that poker does have the ability to dstroy people's lives. We need to be careful about talking cavalierly about making lots of coin with non-playing firends and we should be cautious in encouraging others to play as we don't really know which one of our friends might be tomorrow's problem gambler. The idea of concern for our fellow man also rules out stuff like talking trash to get people to rebuy and stuff along those lines.

As to your money, I'd give a decent amount to a good organization and put the rest in ING Direct. What a "decent amount" is is up to you. I'd reccomend something more than the standard 10% tithe the Old Testament reccomends. In the New Testament Jesus talks of a new covenant that asks more of people. It asks us to recognize that all we have is God's and to not worry about the future. Spend some time checking out some different organizations and see if there is anything that sounds exciting that you would like to give to. The Bible encourages intelligent thinking and not being foolish. Therefore I think its likely that you should probably leave yourself enough for a decent bankroll you can rebuild from when its legit for you to play again.

Best of luck in thinking about all this stuff.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:55 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys, they are really helpful, except a few idiots who said to transfer them the money... just kidding [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The poker part/gambling I don't have a problem with. I know that I'm a winning player, and I constantly study the game and play +EV, and I'm somebody who is pretty frugal with their money. I would definately not play roulette or slots, that is just a waste to me.

The main issue is it the legality of it all. Yes, I speed and jaywalk, LOL, and probably some other illegal things, I'm just unsure right now and will need to spend time in prayer and hopefully I'll get a better idea of what to do. Fellow Christians if you could, please help me in prayer!

I'm definately going to tithe... somehow. Will have to figure out how to withdraw it... and then will have to pay taxes, but I'll figure it all out. How much to tithe is a question too, and that'll be worked out.

I probably need to work on my ego... sometimes I think I'm all that when I tell my friends I play 5/10 and have tried 10/20, but I know I was given the talents by God and shouldn't boast in anything except in God.

Anyways, if I don't play, I'm probably going to put it in ING for about 9 months. Anybody know if there's an age requirement?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The poker part/gambling I don't have a problem with. I know that I'm a winning player, and I constantly study the game and play +EV, and I'm somebody who is pretty frugal with their money. I would definately not play roulette or slots, that is just a waste to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be worried about your eternal soul, not your EV.

By preying on those of weaker mind and spirit to gain riches, you are betraying the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:24 AM

So it's wrong for you to gamble while under 18 but you wanna know what to do with the money?

Give it to charity? Turn yourself in to PartyPoker and have them confiscate your money.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:26 AM

Capitalism in general is incompatable with Christianity. Usury, predatory business practices, greed, are all "sins". The fact that the right wing of this country has tried to meld capitalism with Christianity doesn't change this fact.

Jesus was a communist.

"You should be worried about your eternal soul, not your EV.

By preying on those of weaker mind and spirit to gain riches, you are betraying the teachings of Jesus Christ."
Old 06-02-2005, 01:35 AM

My question is: When did the lord start making, passing and enforcing laws that govern us?
I consider this 2 completely different sets of rules to live by and personnally don't think god is too concerned with laws like this. Good luck. Jay