Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Smart or dumb?

No, I'm just saying that when Hero finds himself in the spot where the post leaves off, pushing is the best move of all the possible choices. I don't like the way he played it up until the push, but given that he chose to play preflop and flop that way, when he gets minraised, pushing is the best way to play it. If he played it as you described (which is how I would play it if I decided to raise preflop that time), the opponent may do something entirely different. If he minraises there, I probably push as well, but in that case the push isn't very large and he will called a larger proportion of the time.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 PM

How about "not dumb but not smart"?

OOP, bump it another 400-450 and fold to any future strength. A re-raise like that will often make a flush draw reconsider and an over pair or AQ is likely to push a board like this at that point. You should have a better idea where your opponent is at after a subtle but significant re-raise. If your opponent pushes at that point you can safely fold without having lost your entire stack.

I agree with a previous poster that an all-in screams draw.

It looks like you just bought in? If so, I would have no trouble calling your all-in draw with top pair, especially considering your pre-flop play.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:24 PM

I'm just saying that when Hero finds himself in the spot where the post leaves off, pushing is the best move of all the possible choices.

There's $300 in the pot and Hero has to call $60 with another $840 behind it (villain covers) with a good draw and a well hidden hand, and you think the best option is pushing? Seriously, I'm not being a smart-ass... Why do you think that?

He's getting 5 to 1 to take a card off with ridiculous implied odds. I'd bet villain will pay him off almost every time he catches an 8, and most times he catches a King...he's at least highly likely to win another bet.

Otherwise he's risking $920 to pick up $300. Even with the 30% chance to improve if he's called, he's probably only around 25% to win the pot due to the fact that most times he's called he's gonna face redraws...that's a ton of money to risk for a smallish pot when he's got huge implied odds to see another card for a ridiculously cheap price.

I'm not saying the move is terrible. I just think calling the flop raise is much better.

- C -
Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 PM

I don't think he gets paid off nearly as often as many people are suggesting. I think Villain's minraise means very little a lot of the time, and possibly complete air. Remember that Hero bet half-pot on the flop. Minraising a weak bet doesn't take a big hand.

On the turn, he will miss 5 out of 6 times. Are you prepared to take a shot at the pot, or do you plan to give up?

I think calling the minraise is ok as well, but I don't like it if you only plan on putting more money in when you hit the six-outer to the nuts. I think this is a pot that can be taken, and playing it passively/weakly would be a mistake.

My decision to call or push over the minraise would be based on how I've been playing recently and how the table in general has been playing and how the specific opponent has been playing. I don't think either decision would be terrible, but I like to win as many pots as I can, especially when I think the other players can't stand heat.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:25 AM

I think Villain's minraise means very little a lot of the time, and possibly complete air.

You really think he's min raising a weak flop bet from a PFR with air, and won't at the very least take a shot at the turn?

I would guess he's betting this turn nearly 100% of the time almost no matter what card comes off no matter what two cards he holds.

On the turn, he will miss 5 out of 6 times.

Good thing he's only putting in $1 for every $5 already in the pot!

Who cares if he gives up or not? He's got direct odds to call this bet with a terrific prospect of getting paid off on later streets if/when he hits.

I think this is a pot that can be taken, and playing it passively/weakly would be a mistake.

I think you're basing that on the assumption that a lot of the time the villain will be min-raising a weak flop bet giving him excellent odds to at least call with any two cards - making a laydown virtually impossible - with a hand that is easy to fold if there's a huge reraise. I think that's a mistake to automatically assume that...one that could cost $840 pretty easily.

I also think Hero shouldn't be pushing here unless he knows he has very good fold equity cause villain does this with garbage, or that he has done this and villain has seen him do this when Hero has flopped the nuts prior to this hand in this particular session.

Otherwise, I'm heavily favoring calling and looking at the turn.

- C -